Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
182 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 180

Tobs, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Removing Steering Column--1941 Packard One-Twenty
Just popping in
Just popping in

packard37coupe
See User information
I just did my 39 gear and the boys have it nailed, off the box from frame, steering wheel off, pitman arm off then out she comes from the front end. However I can't figure out how to get the trans shaft out of the steering wheel. you have a great picture of the stupid little smooth cap thingy, how do I get that off????

Attach file:

jpg  (28.69 KB)
883_4e6d4868a1b06.jpg 442X588 px

Posted on: 2011/9/11 18:46
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

packard37coupe
See User information
Listen to Flackmaster! Also do you how to remove the gear shift column from the hub????

Posted on: 2011/9/12 14:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I believe that wire thingy that holds the gearshift lever in place needs to come off to get the steering wheel backer hub off. NOT the inner clip, which holds the steering column upper shaft bearing in place - you'll service that (clean/regrease) when you have the steering column off. Pretty sure...let us know.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 17:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Sam, Agreed. Follow advice of sages. (However, I used a small puller, like a wheel puller, to get the arm of the steering gear without hammering. I know hammers are the tool of choice for some. It's my last resort and by that time I'm ready to use it improperly.)

Mostly the posts starting on Page 2, #15

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5878&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=10

and continuing to Page 3-#27 of The Duchess Project have pictures of disassembling the steering column for cleaning and painting, and Replacing the column once that's done.

I obsessed protecting my paint job and the steering box is wrapped up like a rolled roast going through the hole in the floorboard.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 17:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

CACHman
See User information
Okay, time for an update. I removed the steering box from the frame and have the shifter and linkages removed from the steering column. However, I have been unable to remove the steering wheel. I have the three screws removed from the back of the wheel and the horn mechanism and chrome pieces have been removed as well along with the large nut in the center. I can see the threads in the center shaft but have been unable to spin the wheel off the threads or remove it from the column. So what I've been doing is disconnecting the steering box from the pitman arm and will slide everything into the car. If you guys can suggest what I'm doing wrong with the steering wheel, that'd be greatly appreciated. I've attached pictures to show where I'm at with the wheel, except the shifter and components are now removed.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.54 KB)
4006_4e6e87071133d.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (42.78 KB)
4006_4e6e8713875d5.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/9/12 17:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It looks like you have a pair of threaded holes on either side of the shaft. If so, you will need a wheel puller. The wheel is pressed onto the serrated shaft and the nut threads on to hold it. If you don't have the holes then others will have to advise on the removal.

If you need the puller & don't have one, here are some pictures of various commercial pullers you can buy or rent. Some parts stores also loan them to customers. Check the thread you need though because some sets don't come with the proper size and you will have to buy a pair of bolts to fit. Packards own version puller is on the bottom.

Ross mentioned making one along the lines of the Packard version by using a piece of heavy scrap steel, drilling a couple of holes at the appropriate distance for your steering wheel & using correct size bolts to thread into the wheel as the pull force instead of the large center screw. You might need to have various length bolts or a stack washers doing it that way.

If you use a commercial puller, leave the nut threaded on a few turns to protect & keep the threads or end of shaft from mushrooming. Some wheels come off fairly well, others need a bit of persuasion so those put a lot of pressure on the threads.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.73 KB)
209_4e6eaf6cc5565.jpg 500X490 px

Posted on: 2011/9/12 20:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

CACHman
See User information
Time for an update. The gear box is disconnected from the frame but I am still unable to disconnect the pitman arm from the box (Part 1 in Guscha's diagram). The box slides up and down the arm up to the threads on the arm (picture below). I've tried hammering downward on the arm but it will not dislodge. Any ideas on how to disconnect this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I rented a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel, but the two holes for the pressure bolts to go into were stripped, so I'm going to re-tap them this week at a slightly larger diameter and try it again. All of the shifting mechanisms have been removed, so it's just the wheel, column, and gearbox left.

Photos:
1. Pitman arm connecting point
2. Steering wheel in current state
3. Steering components in current state

All commentary is greatly appreciated. This is my first restoration project, and some days are better than others. I really want to get the column out of the car so I can get the car blasted.

Attach file:

jpg  (60.34 KB)
4006_4e7fd4be82d69.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (69.88 KB)
4006_4e7fd4cf7d79e.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (71.64 KB)
4006_4e7fd4ded0fd9.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/9/25 20:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 47 manual says to use a pitman arm puller, and cautions that damage may occur if trying to remove without one. Will go out on a limb and say the 41 probably needs one too. The tool number mentioned for the 47 version is different than 55 version but suspect the principal is the same. Unfortunately no picture of the 47 tool. This picture is of a modern type approximating the 55 Packard version.

I noticed in one of your other threads the steering wheel puller is pressing directly against the shaft. That may be OK if wheel not on hard but if the wheel is on so tight the holes were stripped before, would suggest you thread the nut on several turns and press against that rather than the shaft directly. It is very easy to mushroom or distort the end of the hollow shaft and then nut won't thread on without great difficulty.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.92 KB)
209_4e7fe28897610.jpg 220X220 px

Posted on: 2011/9/25 21:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Thumbs up! The suggested puller model looks universal because of its adjustability (maximum jaw spread 2-1/8") and seems to be suitable due to its thin forged jaws. Google shows an impressive price range up to $228 but after 10 minutes research you will pay less than $50. If you plan to stay in touch with car restoring then better buy than borrow.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 7:12
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
The 47 manual says to use a pitman arm puller, and cautions that damage may occur if trying to remove without one. Will go out on a limb and say the 41 probably needs one too. The tool number mentioned for the 47 version is different than 55 version but suspect the principal is the same. Unfortunately no picture of the 47 tool. This picture is of a modern type approximating the 55 Packard version...

Found a picture in the 46-50 Shop Manual. The illustration shows tool J-2572. The KM Tools manual shows J-2572 as being the Packard-specific tool for all models 1939-1950. Looks like the universal tool would work fine.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.16 KB)
188_4e809027e04bd.jpg 580X430 px

jpg  (21.83 KB)
188_4e80903ac6668.jpg 448X307 px

Posted on: 2011/9/26 9:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved