Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 176

Todd W. White, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 91 92 93 (94) 95 96 97 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Mal,
I have quite a few bits and pieces of the Bijur lube system left over from my '29 projects. Let Wade know he is welcome to anything he can use.
David

Posted on: 2011/10/31 20:48

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
David,

Melbourne Cup Day, but unfortunately I didn't make it to the workshop! Which as I write this, will be closed up, the occupants having adjourned to a Melbourne Cup luncheon to celebrate the race that stops a nation!

But I'm sure Wade, once the merriment is over, will read your post and contact you regarding your generous offer if required. From what I understand, all the chassis and running gear lines and lubrication points are done. It's now about getting the supply and pump part of the system cleaned, finished, mounted and tested. But a few questions spring to mind concerning the Bijur lubrication system, being:

It is a total loss system, isn't it, and being total loss it will drip?
Knowing Wade's continual struggle to eliminate oil leaks, in his and others Packards, will he be able to cope with this?
Or, being part of the Packard package for that year, he'll just have to grin and mop it up?

Posted on: 2011/10/31 21:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure, it's a total loss system, so it does drip. Want to see a photo of my garage floor after 46+ years of parking the car in the same location? It isn't pretty. But on the other hand, never a need to replace any item lubricated by the Bijur in nearly 85,000 miles. To me that's a good trade-off.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 21:31

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
O_D, just as I thought. Guess the next step is to address the question to Wade to see how he's going to handle it both physically and mentally!

Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote:......Want to see a photo of my garage floor after 46+ years of parking the car in the same location? It isn't pretty......

YES
, no doubt many others would too!

Posted on: 2011/10/31 21:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 2nd November 2011

Alas, alack, oh woe is me! Soon after I arrived at the workshop these cries of anguish resulted because my camera wouldn't work! As Wade said to Harvey, who phoned while I was trying to coax the camera into action, I looked quite lost. At times Wade is amused about me and the camera, except when an unexpected flash goes off in his face. Recently I wrote an article about a recent PACA run which included this: "Many a time Wade has joked, at least I thought it was a joke but now I'm not so sure, that my camera is welded to my hand. The day before the run there was an advertising brochure in the daily paper which showed a wrist strap to which portable electronic devices can be attached. Wade seemed to think this apparatus would be right up my alley and presented me with the advertising brochure!"

That aside, looks like my plan of attack to bring the camera back to life is:
1) Try a different memory card and fresh batteries, then if that fails,
2) Read the instructions for a solution, then if that fails,
3) Buy a new camera. In fact, on the way home popped in and perused the digital camera range available in my price bracket, cheap!
Gerd, this is one way to reduce the number of pic's I post. In fact, because of no pic's today, I'm going into withdrawal!

Aside from the photography famine, progress was made on The Fossils firewall hardware installation. Yesterday Wade had POR-15'd the various pipes, Bijur bottle fittings and some other parts. Firstly, some trial fittings of pipes to the already installed through the firewall fittings for the oil pressure gauge and the vacuum wipers. Only trouble was, they wouldn't fit! One is a male fitting, the other a female fitting and somewhere along the line they'd been swapped over. Easily fixed by refitting them to the correct sides of the firewall. Then after a MBM gasket the Bijur reservoir bottle was fitted and the pump apparatus and bottle top installed. Next was figuring out which pipes went where. This was much helped by a pic Wade has in his Restoration Folder of that side of the firewall of the replacement body before being dis-assembled some years ago. Wasn't helped though by the various extra kinks the pipes had acquired over the years, although they all fitted together in the end. Last job for the day was drilling and mounting the "wavy" retainer plate near the base of the firewall which positively locates the Bijur oil line and two vacuum lines. My biggest disappointment was that I couldn't take pic's because I'd hoped to post pic's of the process in this thread!

And last night, Wade did speak to John about Juniors engine woes. John is biting the bullet and treating Junior to an engine rebuild so Junior wont be leaving the workshop any time soon.

Lastly, this afternoon Gina takes to the skies and is travelling to the Kingdom of Bhutan for a couple of weeks holiday.

Posted on: 2011/11/1 21:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Gerd, this is one way to reduce the number of pic's I post. In fact, because of no pic's today, I'm going into withdrawal!...

Mal, what would it be like if you would reduce the number of pic's? There are certain moments in life when "too much" is dead right!

Click to see original Image in a new window
Cardboard cone filled with tons of sweets, given to children on their first school day in Germany.

[picture source: www.op-online.de]

Posted on: 2011/11/2 19:22
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 3rd November 2011

Instead of "Alas, alack, oh woe is me" it was cheer and goods spirits today. Well, at least it was in my little corner of the world. The camera works! First tried a different memory card, worked but blurry pic's. Old card in again still no go with error message of "card locked". Reference to the manual was useless so turned to Google. Typed in "memory card locked Canon powershot" and lo and behold an answer of: "...it's because the little white lock tab on the memory card has slid into the locked position...". Never knew that a tiny little card had a tiny little switch on it's side. A flick of the switch later and I'm back in business, almost. Pic's still blurry. In all my efforts to fix the problem I'd upset my camera settings, More operation of buttons and finally fully functioning again. Phew!

At the workshop there was a change of pace to start out with, Wade gave Gina's Celica a logbook service. First needed to put Big Red out in the rain, Junior into the slot vacated by Big Red and the Celica onto the hoist. Basically it was drain the engine oil and auto trans fluid, replace the oil filter and refill with fresh oil and ATF. Along with visual checks of other fluid levels, all OK, except the windscreen washer reservoir required a minor top up. Other visual checks included the brake pads, tyres and CV joint covers. Wade was going to change the timimg belt until John advised because it has VVT it doesn't have a belt but a chain. At the same time Wade was going to replace an engine mount which had deteriorated but, because a spare wasn't available, that will now be done another day along with a new accessories drive belt. Major part of the process is removing the plastic covers from atop and below the engine compartment.

That done, turned to Junior and returned him to his position on the hoist. Although John has "authorised" an engine rebuild, rather than dive straight into that, Wade has adopted a more measured approach. First the head came off to check whether there was something obvious, like a stuck valve that could explain the compression readings, especially the 0 from #3. Nothing obvious at first glance, turning the engine over by hand showed all valves opening and closing and the head gasket appeared to be intact. Turned to the bottom end next. Removed the sump(pan), again nothing obvious. Then #3 big end cap removed and the piston and rod knocked out. Big end journal is in the vicinity of 0.040" undersize, slightly ovoid and the journal surface appears "scratchie". Cleaned up #3 piston top which is stamped as 0.040" oversize but haven't yet checked the bore for size and taper.

And last night I received an email from pepepackard advising "...have a good range of junior parts for an engine rebuild if John needs any...". This from a guy who found he had 5 Six/110 engines when he moved house a year or so ago, he thought he only had a couple!
Fred.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.65 KB)
226_4eb243d313762.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.12 KB)
226_4eb243e25065d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.20 KB)
226_4eb243f5d3c9e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.54 KB)
226_4eb24428e252c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.78 KB)
226_4eb2444890f2f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (32.83 KB)
226_4eb2448281e19.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.83 KB)
226_4eb2449ee7c33.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.00 KB)
226_4eb244b1418d3.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (15.42 KB)
226_4eb244df49eb1.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2011/11/3 2:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Stop the presses!

On my way to a Packard Club meeting tonight I saw the car pictured below parked in a suburban street!

Attach file:

jpg  (33.11 KB)
226_4eb275c8f238a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.70 KB)
226_4eb275d9a8fc5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.98 KB)
226_4eb275e32a8d7.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/11/3 6:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Jay Leno has one of those same Electric Cars. I believe it has a "tiller" steering system.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 10:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mal, imagine that you would have been without camera ... Phew!

Posted on: 2011/11/3 10:53
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de

« 1 ... 91 92 93 (94) 95 96 97 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved