Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1939 packard six
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mgrambo
See User information
I'm working on a complete restoration. I rebuilt my engine two years ago. Finally got it in the frame. It runs great but anti freeze comes out of 4 nuts on the head. There is no anti freeze in my oil. What is causing this?

Posted on: 2011/12/14 0:34
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 packard six
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Most likely the studs concerned penetrate the water jacket and have not been sealed sufficiently when installed. Or, the other likely explanation is, you have a blown head gasket. Either way, to fix it, you need to remove the head.

Posted on: 2011/12/14 3:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mgrambo
See User information
I did'nt know that the studs had to be sealed. This was my first engine rebuilt. So all of the studs need to come out and sealed. What do you recommend that I seal them with?

Posted on: 2011/12/14 22:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you have the correct studs, although the two ends may appear to have nominally the same thread, the end that goes into the block has an interference fit to facilitate sealing so it's minutely larger in diameter than the other end. Perhaps you threaded the wrong end into the block?

I'd use old-fashioned Permatex #4 as a sealant (the brown, thick & gooey stuff).

Posted on: 2011/12/15 9:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
On the other side, if it's a blown head gasket, see this thread. Seeing you said earlier"....It runs great but anti freeze comes out of 4 nuts on the head....", if the leaking studs/nuts are in a similar location likely the head gasket. If they are in diverse locations likely non sealing studs.

Posted on: 2011/12/15 14:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mgrambo
See User information
The leaking studs/nuts are in diverse locations so it is likely it's the non sealing studs. Either way I'll have to replace the head gasket when I take the head off unless you know of a way to save it.

Posted on: 2011/12/15 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I would suggest that you do not have to remove the head. I would drain the coolant (after marking the leaking studs of course). I would then in turn remove and replace each offending stud from the block using two thinner than normal 7/16 UNF nuts locked onto the stud. I would then use the permatex No 4 suggested by O D on the block end of the stud and re-insert the stud to the block with the two nuts on the stud. I would then unlock the two nuts and move onto the next offending stud. If you are not sure about the process, consult a mechanic on the matter. That is what I would do anyway. Good Luck Peter Toet

Posted on: 2011/12/16 1:27
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Might work, give it a try. My own experience is that the jam nut method doesn't hold the stud sufficiently tight to fully tighten the interference thread into the block. Stud installing/removing tools I'm familiar with use a knurled wheel to jam and hold the stud and as that would ruin the thread, you've got to grasp it in the center section between the threaded ends, thus meaning the head must be off.

If you need a picture of a stud remover/installer let me know.

Posted on: 2011/12/16 9:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
On You tube there is a short clip.

Seehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGXjTK0JP3g

Posted on: 2011/12/17 2:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Reading all of this about cylinder head studs, I had a thought: How much do the studs need to be tightened in the block? It would seem to me that if they have a good and proper threads, the threads in the block are good, and the threads have been sealed with the appropriate sealer - they do not need to be very tight - certainly not as tight as the head nuts. The force on the studs when the cylinder head is torqued would be a pulling force. Any thoughts on this?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/12/17 11:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved