Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 187

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Packard Factory to finally come down?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i also bought about 40 ft of crown molding and two office doors when they salvaged the wood.

they are still selling that wood too right?

Posted on: 2012/3/2 11:02
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Cli55er:

Yes, the guys that are selling wood are still at it:http://authenticpackard.com/

You asked about a hotel reservation. My personal recommendation is the Marriott Centerpoint - it was the host hotel for the 2006 PAC National Meet and will be the host hotel for the 2013 PAC National Meet. It is along the Woodward corridor, a couple of mile north of Birmingham, MI. The PPG is 12 miles to the east and the PMCC is about 16 miles to the south.http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/dtwpo-detroit-marriott-pontiac-at-centerpoint/

We love to have visitors and last week we had 2 guys from CA and 1 guy from Chicago on tour.

However, we have the Cars-R-Stars @ PPG show scheduled for Sunday, June 10 that might be suitable for number of folks to attend.http://www.carsrstars.com/

And don't forget the 2013 PAC National June 2013 when we host the BIG party.

--Roger--

Posted on: 2012/3/2 11:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
I believe the radiator shell from the bridge and several other artifacts purchased by the private collector from Texas was donated to America's Packard Museum in Dayton.

Posted on: 2012/3/2 11:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I'm sorry, Roger. Looks like I hit a very sensitive nerve. I don't think what you said is a rant so much as an expression of frustration.

As mentioned on the Duchess blog, I'm driving to Seattle this Spring, to Pebble in August with grandchildren, and Williamsburg VA in Sept for the PAC national meet. My intention, if not hit by a bus.

Now that my car is almost done, I will have time to participate in the club, something I did a lot of in the 70s when I was driving my car. If you have a copy of the PI Winter 1975 magazine, you can see that mobilization can raise positive awareness for Packards. At the initial suggestion there were a lot of groans. And to get front page publicity of the Style section by letting our wives drive Packards to meet with the reporter (if even a few blocks) was initially met with eyes rolling. We did pull this off.

The credentials of the Board are very impressive.

The technique I'm suggesting is to use the clout of such community stalwarts to negotiate what we want from the powers that be, others blessed with means to underwrite the effort, while the rest of us gain the support of the community at large using high visibility events.

Posted on: 2012/3/2 12:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
IMHO better the plant to finally come down and be remembered as it once was as opposed to the Poster Child for Urban Decay it is now. It's easy to think that some of it could be saved for posterity if you have never been there in person. But if you have ever visited it in person you would realize that it is really too far gone.

This is a picture of the door facade shortly before it was auctioned off and removed. It was really one of the last bastions of elegance left on the building.

Attach file:

jpg  (130.95 KB)
1_4f51067b5e9b3.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/3/2 12:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Joe:

I am sorry too for sounding like I took off on you.

I am just glad that I live here and I have the opportunity to help out at the PPG and my local region, Motor City Packards.

We will take your help in contacting the W&K ad agency. Remind them of the Chrysler tie to Packard. During WWII Chrysler leased the PPG from Packard and used it to test tanks. Chrysler's tank plant was on VanDyke at 12 Mile Road and the PPG is 10 miles north on VanDyke at 22 Mile Road.

Hope you can generate something.

Sincerely, --Roger--

Posted on: 2012/3/2 12:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
If Packard enthusiasts have secured whatever was worth getting out of there, then, in Emily Latella's words, "nevermind."

And, yes, I agree the rest should be demolished. The 3D film at the art museum being projected on 2-20 ft walls looks pretty cool, however, spooky as the remains are.

I will mention possibilities to W&K, but it looks as though, whatever should have been saved or salvaged, was.

Posted on: 2012/3/2 13:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Trust me, we have saved everything worth removing.

Attached is a photo of the employee doors that are in storage at the PPG - it is all intact, but in pieces and we have the half-round window that was mounted above.

While not the best of photos, you can see we also have a number of toilets from the executive washroom. We even have the upright urinal that was in the President's bathroom. With your support, we want to have that in working order at the PPG so that you can "drain your radiator" in the same urinal as Alvin Macauley.

--Roger--

Attach file:

jpg  (95.19 KB)
436_4f515d2e9daee.jpg 1200X900 px

Posted on: 2012/3/2 16:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2012/3/7 15:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Roger, You have lightened my day. I look forward to a "historical reenactment"

Posted on: 2012/3/7 16:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved