Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 212

HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Build Slip/Chassis #s/Evidence of Restoration
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

LynnFauth
See User information
The more into my 53 ClipDlx, I'm getting convinced of a frame off restore. Crawling around the car, changing oil & waiting for tran and hypoid oil deliveries before pan drops, I wonder: given how clean and painted the oil pan, Torque C cover, and trans pan seem (this one complete with plenty of permatex-type goop) is it necessary to pull them to de-sludge. ATF is clear red & doesn't smell burnt. Oil was reasonably clean. I've attached some pictures to show how clean it is; a crawl inspection of undercarriage revealed 2 minor rust spots: 1)Left rear quarter by fender skirt 2)another where two floor panels join, right rear. All is painted gloss black; all rubber grommets/bushings do not appear to be originals--they're intact, not rotted like 60-yr olds. I've attached some pictures--evidence of clean!

What advice comes from the experts reading this? For sure, ATF gets replaced,as does diff. oil. Engine oil and filter have been replaced; a radiator flush comes once I get it off stands with new oils.

I found the build slip. It reads:

KO 22154 AT HE RPE WS FS VM CL.. Key PU. 040

Galahad Green/Orchard Green 2-tone, Ultramatic, Heat, Radio w/pwr ant, whitewalls, trunk light, night mirror; what's CL?

There's a 95 on the build sheet--is that the trim code (green bedford cloth?); it's stamped either Jun or Jul 15, 1953. The 3rd letter after Ju is unclear.

This date does not jibe with the date stamped on the frame--under right rear door: see photo 1.
OS 8-17-53
Pack 326212-81.
I assume the 122 is the wheelbase. But if the frame was marked on 8-17-53 and the build sheet says Jun/Jul 15, 53, was the body built before the frame?

Attach file:

jpg  (109.98 KB)
4719_500f625544948.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (107.77 KB)
4719_500f6274d85b9.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (74.55 KB)
4719_500f6289d6dda.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (107.17 KB)
4719_500f62a205276.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (98.49 KB)
4719_500f632b5330f.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/7/24 22:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Build Slip/Chassis #s/Evidence of Restoration
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Looks like someone hand painted this numbers on the frame. It should be in a stencil format and should say AOS. Not just OS. This was done after the car was built by a restorer or owner.

Posted on: 2012/7/24 22:38
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Congrats on finding the build slip.

Quote:
KO 22154 AT HE RPE WS FS VM CL.. Key PU. 040

Galahad Green/Orchard Green 2-tone, Ultramatic, Heat, Radio w/pwr ant, whitewalls, trunk light, night mirror; what's CL?

CL is for the trunk compartment light. Perhaps you meant to ask about FS, then, which is for the rear fender shrouds (skirts)

Quote:
There's a 95 on the build sheet--is that the trim code (green bedford cloth?)

IIRC, you've got a Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan - body 2662. According to the parts book front matter, the only green bedford cloth interior for that body was trim set 53.

Can't offer any help on the dates except that I'd think the frame would predate the build.

Posted on: 2012/7/24 23:04
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Usually the frames were built well ahead of by AO Smith and stacked in yard outside the factory waiting or their turn inside.

Agree with Hank, that numbering is not original and was hand painted. Originally it would have been stenciled.

Also I dont know is the build slips match the actual date of assembly, or the date the slip was generated and put into queue for assembly.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 11:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
On the topic of build slips - we consider ourselves very fortunate when we reach up above the glove box or other locations and do indeed find the original build slip. Many times we don't find it and more often than not the reason may be that a prior owner found it, removed it, and it didn't accompany the car when it changed hands.

Do future owners of your car a real favor! If you want to keep the original build slip separate from the car, make a copy or photograph and put that back in the proper location so a future owner can benefit from the information. How many of us have thought to do this?

Posted on: 2012/7/25 11:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Do future owners of your car a real favor! If you want to keep the original build slip separate from the car, make a copy or photograph and put that back in the proper location so a future owner can benefit from the information. How many of us have thought to do this?

I'll second that! I'm still trying to find the sheets for my two (I haven't checked under the carpet yet) but hope is fading.....

Posted on: 2012/7/25 12:50
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Photos of engine and transmission show them to be a light green color, which is incorrect. They should be Packard Gray.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/7/25 18:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

LynnFauth
See User information
For some reason they appear greenish in the iphone pictures posted; they in real live color are gray.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 0:05
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

LynnFauth
See User information
Well, the old girl is on the road. 3 weeks with Mike Gossard, Packard Mechanic at Packard Museum in Oxnard, CA got trans gasket changed, brakes rebuilt, a new 3-core radiator, and a used Autolite generator he had laying around, replacing the worn-out Delco.

Initial road trip to get new tires caused water pump to destroy itself, while generator packed it in as well! All in 150 miles!

Next day air from Max Merrit got a new water pump, and similar expedited shipping for a 6-v + ground alternator from New Jersey. Son-in-law and I fabricated an alt bracket from 2" angle iron and 1" square tubing; a new 44 5/8" fan belt, a 4 ga starter cable to connect alt to bat terminal, and she fired up for the 150 mile trip home.

Labor day's labors: change oil--Rotella very dirty after 350 miles; waterless wash and spray wax, and clean-up of new True-Spoke Wire Wheels and Vogue Tyres! She's looking pretty sharp.

Next on docket: touch-up of paint chips, a detail job, new seat covers, Cool-it/Acoustical mat under carpet to defray melted driver's feet, plus some tweaking of electrical to get horn, radio, and power antenna working, and some rubber goods around wind wings.

Lots of work but everyone notices the car; I don't know if I like all the attention!

Still planning on the Laughlin trip, although I don't think wife wants to drive 7 hr w/o a/c! Son-in-law has a full unit from a Jeep Wagoneer, needing only (?) hoses and freon, not to mention fabricated brackets. Perhaps Vintage Air makes a 6-volt model, but then I'm on my way to a money pit.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 2:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved