Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 217

dallas, Bob J, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

'40 Ignition cables recommendation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I have Belden carbon cables on the Duchess, made from a universal set, and I hate everything about them. The look, the blue color, the inability to access the connectors, etc.

Who makes a great set of ignition cables for a 1940-50 356 engine?

(I like the ones that stick straight up, not bent at 90 degrees, and have a low-resistance metal core.)

Thanks for your recommendation.

Joe

Posted on: 2012/8/1 0:17
 Top  Print   

Re: '40 Ignition cables recommendation
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
I'll leave to others as to who purveys the best cosmetics, but make sure you find ignition wires that are 100% copper.
My '47 Super has genuine, decent, black ignition wire from a then 60-year-old auto electric shop now long gone, installed back in the '80s.

Out here in Kaleefornyuh, you could, as recently as the '80s, find in many auto parts emporiums, pure copper ignition wire sold "for off road use only." As i recall, it was safety cone orange, stamped Packard 440, ironically part of what's left of James Ward Packard's original company.

None of this helps you, but i just want to urge you and others to accept nothing but pure copper ignition wire. None of that ubiquitous carbon suppresor junk.
Anyone following Cardinal Santana's detailed saga knows he's among those wanting his car to run as well as it looks.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 2:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I went to NAPA and bought a spool of Packard 440 copper ignition wire along with the metal clips to crimp on each end.Took old wires off and cut the new wire to match.Put metal clips on and everything looks NOS.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 5:31
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I made my own out of Packard 440 wire. They look great and I was able to make each wire the correct length.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 12:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I bought my set about 5 years ago, ready to install (no bends in the connectors... except for the one under the a/c compressor), from Potomac Packard. I don't know if they're copper or not....

Posted on: 2012/8/1 14:38
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hi Joe,

Try Brillman for ignition wires and terminals. Sorry I don't have his contact information in my head right now, but I will look for it. He has original type wire and correct terminals for our Packards.

(o[]o)

Edit: www.brillman.com will get you to the home page.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 12:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I buy from Brillman rather regularly, good vendor.

http://brillman.com/store/

Cole Ignition up in NYS, a long-time supplier of ignition wire sets, is also still in the business. But honestly, for sets as simple as these it's amost as easy to just make up your own as others have suggested. Everything you need is at NAPA and probably other good auto supply stores.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 14:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
JW and OD, Brillman looks like a great resource. I honestly could not find any Packard 440 wire at NAPA. I go in fairly regularly, but they always have to search around for an old catalog to help me. Their online search needs lots of work. Search for ignition cables, you get hundreds of sets of one brand. Search for spark plug wires and you get hundreds of sets, like 60 pages, of one other brand. I just gave up.

I decided to call Potomac and they are shipping a set on Monday.

Thanks for the inputs.

Posted on: 2012/8/3 0:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Joe
Did you ask J.P. if his are copper?

Posted on: 2012/8/3 6:50
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Yes, he told me they are copper, made to original engineering specs. Since many original coils are replaced, they ask for the length of the current coil-to- distributor cable, so they can make it to the length needed. All the ends are straight, unless you have AC, in which case the No. 1 cable has a bent end to fit under the AC, as mentioned.

The repro set I bought in the 80s had rubber boots over the spark plugs. I'm not sure if these will come that way since I read that originally there were no boots over the spark plugs. A couple of boots on that previous set melted around the bottom.

That set was replaced by these Belden carbon ones. The only question is Will the new Potomac ones work with electronic ignition if I switch to that Petronix device later. I read somewhere that the RF and EMI from the wires that can interfere with the radio, without a suppressor, can confuse the electronic ignition.

More to contemplate. I currently cannot get the Duchess to start. Vaughn has been over to help me, but we haven't figured out why. I don't want to have it towed to a shop, so waiting for the new wires, then will go step by step.

Posted on: 2012/8/3 10:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved