Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 203

HH56, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Seems like good deal?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Saw this pop up on Ebay and it seems like a very reasonable or even low price, am I right on this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1936-Packard-Twelve-Club-Sedan-V12-/120960992848?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c29d64650

Posted on: 2012/8/1 8:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Seems like good deal?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
at that price i'd be all over it like stink on poop! althought i'm no expert on this year/model. but if i had that much money...i'd hit buy it now.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 9:29
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It appears to be a very nice car. But I'd want some good solid information about why it needed an engine rebuild, and who did it, and how. There are plenty of stories of folks who bought a Twelve with a "rebuilt" motor who soon found it was poorly done and needed to be redone by someone who knew what they were doing. And a VERY expensive engine to rebuild properly; think in terms of $40,000 or more for a top-notch engine job, depending of course on what might be needed and how much you might do yourself (or the rebuilder allows you to do yourself and still retain his warranty.)

But when they are correctly sorted out for touring, there isn't much that can compare to the experience of driving a Packard Twelve. Personally I like the 36 seniors, last year for mechanical brakes, Bijur, beam front axle, etc. Sure, many will consider the 37 and up to be easier driving and better equipped for modern highways.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Wow, that does look cheap!

OD makes good points. Is it restored wrong? Looks like leather interior, missing anything, should it have covers on the side mounts, etc.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
It seems like a great deal, and I really like the club sedan body.

I'm by no means an expert, but leather on a closed car? I've always seen cloth, except for the front seat in a limousine. Also, why no photos of the dash? Agree with Dave about the cost of a quality rebuild. I have two V-12's and two 356 I-8 witht he restorer, who says as a rule of thumb plan on $2,000 per cylinder.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 11:11
Don Skotty
1938 Super 8 1604 1116 Club Sedan
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Remember the old saying "If it's too good to be true, it probably is"? I'd be very wary here and wouldn't do anything unless i could see the car IRL, a pic and description wouldn't do anything for me, other than raise my suspicions further..

Posted on: 2012/8/1 12:57
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Let the ride decide wrote:...Looks like leather interior...

From the eBay listing "...The interior was redone in vinyl to discourage moth damage by the Min. owner, it shows as it does in the photos, it is the weak point of the car in my opinion, but serviceable for touring. It was redone in the original proper pattern..."

Posted on: 2012/8/1 21:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Though I can't shed any light on the condition of the Twelve in question, I would emphasize that axiom that if the deal looks too good to be true, it probably is.

I can pass along that one of the principles of the enterprise is very well known to the collector car community in the area. To put it nicely, the man in question has a reputation that precedes him......but it's not a good one!

Just a viseral feeling, but I think the upholstery is vinyl, not leather. It's way too shiny and prefect. That's a $25K knockdown in price.

Caveat Emptor!

Steve

Posted on: 2012/8/2 7:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Apologies for diverting off-topic again, but the subject of leather interiors on closed cars is an interesting one. The car below is a 1932 904 (Super Eight) by Waterhouse, the only known closed Waterhouse body on a Packard chassis. As a custom, anything was possible and it originally had an all-leather interior, now restored. An exceptionally handsome car, IMO.

Attach file:

jpg  (133.11 KB)
177_501a879f08226.jpg 1200X900 px

jpg  (115.57 KB)
177_501a87c9b6a31.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (114.58 KB)
177_501a87db4681f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (105.02 KB)
177_501a88002a510.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (63.52 KB)
177_501a8814a3db8.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/8/2 9:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved