Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Paint Recomendation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
I cant remember if i had told everyone that my engine was the original, somebody had just decided to paint it red for some reason.

Anyway since my Patrician only has 86k on it, i dont plan on rebuilding the block for a while, but i want to keep it looking nice until then. Ill probably keep it red untill its rebuilt as well, then ill repaint it to original.

Ive got my heater core off, and im getting ready to pull the manifold, and the valve covers, but i have almost no idea what to paint them with. And do i try and cover the inside of them or will that just flake off and cause problems.

I started the heater core with that Plasticote Engine enamel, but im not so sure its very good. That stuff seems so soft.

Also what is a favorite parts wash arund here?

Posted on: 2008/5/24 14:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Paint Recomendation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't believe any Patrician engine (with the possible exception of a factory replacement) should be red; gray 1951-53, bronze for 1954, ivory for 1955, and bronze for 1956.

Posted on: 2008/5/24 14:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
I just figure since im not going to pull it out for a long time that, i would like it to match, but when i do i know for sure it will be bronze. And i havev know idea why or who painted it red, I thought it was kind of wierd, especially that bright red you usually see on the OUTSIDE of an 80's chevy or something.

But, its numbers do match my car so...

Posted on: 2008/5/24 14:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might want to check either the engine serial # (Utica plant#) or motor number, one of the 1955 Clipper engines was originally painted red. Could be your car had a motor swapout.

Posted on: 2008/5/24 15:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe the previous owner went by some old mechanics memory--or just liked bright red. The 55 Clipper small engines were a dignified but not bright red.

When I bought my first V8 Packard in early 70s and just starting to collect information, I asked an old time mechanic still working in what had been the local Packard dealership some questions. One was engine color. He told me he remembered the engines were bluish-green (and some Clippers were). I promptly painted a rebuilt short block a shade of turquoise that some modern car used. It may still be out there so anyone having 5682-1032, guilty. Packard information wasn't as readily available to everyone back then.

Posted on: 2008/5/24 16:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
Ok so the numbers on the top of the block and on the door pillar are both 5682-4487 so I'm pretty sure its the original. So it should be bronze then? And on to the next part of the question what is the best brand to use or better yet what holds up the best? Ie plasticote, Por15?

Posted on: 2008/6/9 13:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The bronze engine paints that both Kanters and Bill Hirsch carry are pretty good quality, and are the correct shade. 1 quart should be enough for the entire engine with paint left over for touchup in the future.

You can brush it or spray it on, but you really need to get the motor as clean and grease free as possible before you paint. Take a look at Dave Czirr's (Ownen Dyneto) project blog as he painted his in the same color.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 13:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
........Take a look at Dave Czirr's (Ownen Dyneto) project blog as he painted his in the same color.

Kev,

I can't find a Project Blog for Owen_Dyneto, could you mean Randy Berger's?

Posted on: 2008/6/9 15:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Opps...sorry. I had just got done reading a post Dave had left, so he must have still been in my head. Yes I mean Randy's project blog. Thanks for keeping my honest.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 16:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I used Hirsch's paint, but someone said that Kanter's had a little more gold in it and they thought it looked closer to original. Either way, both are good paints.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 20:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved