Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 130

BigKev, bkazmer, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Advice wanted on 1941 Packard 160
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

caseyjay
See User information
Hello All, New to forum but need some expert advice. Back in 1973, I bought a 1941 160 sedan (1903-1472) for about $1500 from the original owner in Virginia. A new battery and some gas in the carb and it started after many years in the garage. However, I did have to use the parking brake to slow it down. Hauled it in a U-Haul truck back to Indiana. I have kept it all of these years covered, wanting to restore it. However, married, career, kids, retirement etc, now I am chest-deep in restoration of a 1957 Jaguar and with my advancing age and fixed income, I can see that this Packard is never going to get to the front of my line. I need to find a new home for it, but I have no idea what might be a fair value. I would really appreciate if you members of the forum could give me an idea what I should likely take for such a car. I took the engine and transmission out and stored them separately (dumb idea!!). A couple of years ago I put them back in. The engine won't turnover, but it ran when I bought it. All of the parts are there like interior and chrome trim and taillights etc but the upholstery , rubber, paint etc is very weathered, moth eaten. This is not a driver, it needs a real restoration. The body is solid, one small dent and the front bumper is cracked, some surface rust. otherwise undamaged. Besides any guesses to fair value, can you suggest some site to try. I am sincere in just wanting some ideas for fair value, not trying to sell it in this forum..Ken Johnston

Attach file:

jpg  (99.40 KB)
4907_505ce8a608914.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (118.37 KB)
4907_505ce8c2d533a.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (84.84 KB)
4907_505ce8da2047d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/9/21 17:24
 Top  Print 

Re: Advice wanted on 1941 Packard 160
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Caseyjay:

Given the $1500 purchase price and the missing headliner I assume the original owner was not storing the car properly.
That is a shame because the chrome, save the bumper, indicates it was in pretty good shape prior to falling into disuse.

Your best bet is to put the thing on ebay. With a stuck motor it's not going to sell for very much and shipping is a big part of the equation.

Other than that your pictures are a terrific reference as there was recently a big debate here about painted dashboards under the multi-toned paint options.

How the bumper got cracked is another problem because those frames bend rather easily.

To make 3% on your investment puts the price in the $5,000 range, but the stuck motor knocks that down. If the car was stored properly it would be at in the 20K and higher range sans the cracked bumper.

Posted on: 2012/9/21 18:47
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

caseyjay
See User information
Thanks for the post Tim, I have a whole bag full of "if only"s. I have thought that the effort to get the motor running (even badly) might be worth a couple of K$, but alas, I have many restoration plates spinning. As too the bumper damage, it is exactly as I bought it and don't know why it is cracked. It shows no real damage around it like from a collision. My guess is the previous owner hooked the bumper on something when backing up and cracked it that way. Ken Johnston

Posted on: 2012/9/21 20:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I think Tim's numbers are spot on. You'll have a tough time getting $5,000 for it not running. When you say it won't turn over, do you mean it's stuck, or just that the starter won't turn it over?

Posted on: 2012/9/21 21:23
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ken,
to PackardInfo and sorry you're selling your Packard. Also sorry I can't add anything to the value question. Instead I have a request of you, inviting you to include your '41 160 Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo irrespective that you are selling it!

Posted on: 2012/9/21 22:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

caseyjay
See User information
Thanks for the reply posts! On the subject of the engine, I could not turn it over with a wrench on the crank, but I did not try to troubleshoot it. It ran when it was shut down so it can't be catastrophic. It may require taking the connecting rod caps off and cleaning out the dried gunk. Do you think it would add a lot to the value? As for the suggestion of the registry, I will gladly do it . Ken

Posted on: 2012/9/21 22:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
caseyjay wrote:...As for the suggestion of the registry, I will gladly do it . Ken
Ken,

Posted on: 2012/9/21 23:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Just assuring the buyer that the engine is free should be all you need to do. It looks like it has overdrive and the electromatic clutch, as well.

Posted on: 2012/9/22 9:52
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Casey:

It may have gotten stuck because something was living in it.

If you are really lucky you can let it soak for a couple of weeks and it will free up. Some old timers swear by Marvel Oil because it may have spearmint oil in it.

It's not a hard motor to get running again. You'll have to pull the cylinder head and see what's going on. Don't try to break it free. You can then soak the offending cylinders in penetrating oil and even carefully heat the rusty areas up with a torch. Then tap with a block of wood, or pull the oil pan and replace the rings.

Some people are not so lucky. I knew an old timer (Paul Lamb) who's 34 Packard got stuck because it had a cracked valve seat. He soaked it in diesel oil for months with no luck. It was a shame because it was a nice original car with a Senior CCCA badge on it.

I also handled a 55 Clipper that was a collision case. Somebody at the body shop started the motor to see if it would run. The condensation then seized it solid. I serviced two frozen cylinders and it ran fine ever after.

Good luck with your car.

Posted on: 2012/9/22 10:28
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

caseyjay
See User information
Thanks Everyone for your interest. I have just added my Packard to the registry. While looking through my old folder on it to get info for the registry, I came across some history. If anyone is interested, I have the original documentation that I used to get the Classis Car Club to alow the 160 model into the club back in 1975. Back then it was 180 only. I will post if this forum is interested. BTW, I think I will try the oil soak trick and give the engine another try.Ken

Posted on: 2012/9/22 11:34
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved