Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 176

Patrick, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

stromberg carburetor aav 26
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Currently rebuilding subject carburetor on my 1940-180. I noticed an approximately 1/4" thick spacer between the carburetor base and the intake manifold. This spacer, which I assume is to protect the fuel in the carburetor from over heating, is badly gouged. Have rebuilt many carburetors in the past but never come across this spacer before. Has anyone experience with removing this spacer? If not, where would be the best place to try and find a replacement?

Posted on: 2012/10/25 23:41
 Top  Print   

Re: stromberg carburetor aav 26
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Bill!

Welcome to Packardinfo! You are correct, that spacer is to help keep the fuel in the carb from boiling. It is a phenolic material, like a plastic. I have one on my '52, and added another recently from a parts packard at a salvage yard. Not completely sure where you can buy one new, maybe the usual suspects i.e. Kanter, Max Merritt. Should just slide up off of the studs, just be careful of debris that may fall into the intake.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/10/26 0:17
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Bill,
Like to add my as well.

If someone on site can't come up with a replacement then, as Garrett indicated, "the usual suspects" are your best best.

And, I invite you to include your '41 180 in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/10/26 0:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Thanks for the info on spacer block, found one and replaced. Completely cleaned and rebuilt carburetor with kit from Kanter. Runs much better know with the exception of major hesitation on acceleration from stop. Accelerator pump working well lots of gas, idle speed up so must be a problem with rebuild. Hard to tell which parts are correct as kit has pieces for many models, the one I have is a Stromberg AAV-26 40-10D. As carburetor worked poorly when I purchased recently may not have been properly rebuilt by previous owner. The problem appears to been in the accelerator pump or power pump section. Does anyone have know the correct rebuild parts for these?

Posted on: 2012/10/31 18:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Bill,
for including your '40 One-Eighty Super Eight Custom Club Sedan in the Registry. Very Nice!

Posted on: 2012/11/3 21:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Bill,
Here are a couple of pix of my bench rebuilding my AAV-26. I kept a notebook as I did it. Do your instructions look the same as the one in the photo? If not, I can fax it to you. There are more instructions on the back.
Joe

Attach file:

jpg  (126.86 KB)
1067_5095f712e6cb7.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (139.05 KB)
1067_5095f72336715.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/11/4 0:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Joe, thanks for the feed back. I purchased a rebuild kit from Kanter's and followed their rather poor picture of the exploded view, yours is much better. Found the 1/4" spacer and carb is now working great. Now working on the fuel pump which has caused me much more grief (on the vacuum side). Think I have this resolved. Now will have to have the vacuum wiper motor repaired.
Thanks,Bill

Posted on: 2012/11/17 0:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
Bill, try spraying WD-40 into the wiper motor. Most of the time the diaphragm has just dried out. It worked on mine.
John

Posted on: 2012/11/17 7:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you have access to a Motor's Manual of the era (mine covers 1935 thru 1949) it has excellent illustrated guidance for rebuilding the Stromberg AA series.

Posted on: 2012/11/17 9:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved