Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

what is a modern plug for 1928 533, 6 cyl?
Just popping in
Just popping in

updraft
See User information
Need a modern day plug for my 1928 533. Can I use a Motorcraft TT10 plug? Someone suggested I use a Champion 518 or W18, but the tread depth is 1/16" longer. The current plug is a AC46.

Posted on: 2012/11/17 19:53

1927 433
1928 533
 Top  Print   

Re: what is a modern plug for 1928 533, 6 cyl?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day updraft,
Like to say to PackardInfo but sorry I can't help with your request.

However, I invite you to include your '28 533 Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2012/11/18 13:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For current spark plug recommendations I always go first to the Autolite look-up. It covers most makes back to 1920 and even earlier for some (back to 1896). If you then want to go to another make, there is a cross-reference chart provided. Autolite's current recommendation for your vehicle is their #3076.

http://www.autolitecatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=A&pn=3076

Posted on: 2012/11/18 14:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
What a great web site for all of us who did no know about it, thanks Owen for posting.
I was going to suggest to Updraft that he use modern 14mm spark plugs with 7/8" adapters as I have in my Packards but if the correct ones are available then thats the way to go.
Also using thread adapters could affect the heat transfer from the plug and therefore the heat range.

Posted on: 2012/11/18 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
14mm adapters??? For what??? Updraft indicates a AC 46 is currently used in the car. The 4 indicates 14mm and the 6 is a somewhat hot AC plug.

IF the AC46 have ran with staisfaction then i would certainly continue on with them. At least he will KNOW what he has when done.

Posted on: 2012/11/18 16:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the current plug is an AC46 without an adapter, the car does not have the original cylinder head. From 1924 thru 1931 Packard used both 7/8 and 18mm plugs depending on model; 14mm spark plugs didn't come to Packard until 1931/1932.

Posted on: 2012/11/18 16:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Sorry if I confused the issue, There are adapters available that screw into the standard 7/8" spark plug hole that allow the use of modern plugs. I have them on my 126 & 633.
http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/452-sparking-plug-adaptor

Posted on: 2012/11/18 18:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
DavidM, I'm just curious why you'd use an adapter since correct modern plugs are so readily available? Or are Autolite plugs not available to you? I don't know that there would be any performance difference between using the original 7/8 plug and a 14mm, it's just that when the correct parts are available, it's always been my inclination to use them rather than making some sort of conversion to adapt something else.

Posted on: 2012/11/18 18:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Good question OD, I bought them at a local swap meet many years ago before we had the internet and I while I suspected that the correct plugs were probably available in US I assumed they would be very expensive and I was, at the time buying for 3 project cars (now all finished), 2 x 8 and 1 x 6, a total of 22 plugs. The adapters were inexpensive and I could then purchase the modern plugs easily and cheaply including future replacements. I obtained advice from the spark plug agent about the best plug at the time.
Today I would buy the correct plugs off the internet

Posted on: 2012/11/18 20:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Here is an AC Delco web site probably on a par with the AL website.

http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/stock_check.php

Keep us posted on what direction u decide to go. Besides, things are getting a bit slow around here now and i need something new to argue about. Gufwah ha ha ha ha.

Seriuosly tho, I am not well versed on what auto parts are readily available in Oz and what is not. So keeping us posted mite help everyone see things in a different lite, especialy me.

Posted on: 2012/11/18 22:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved