Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 195

charlieshot, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 Clipper Deluxe clutch problem
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom Still
See User information
I collected this Clipper about 10 years ago; it had a defanged pinion gear. I couldn't find an overdrive rear end so it was replaced with a higher ratio one from an automatic. I noticed that the clutch would slip slightly if pushed so I drove it easily. The clutch lasted a few months and got progressively worse. I replaced it with stock parts, but it still felt soft and lasted less then a year. Clutch #3 was a racing disk and heavy springs. It lasted slightly over a year. Time and ambition deferred #4 until now. I think the problem is the 9" clutch is too small for the load. The 352 engine was bolted to a larger, I think 11", clutch. The plan for #4 is to pull the flywheel and re-drill it for a larger clutch, at least 11". I recall from 8-9 years ago thinking it looked an awful lot like the 12" one from my Chevy truck. I have access to a complete machine shop so getting the holes in the right place is no problem.

Questions I have:
Will this affect engine balance? I don't expect it to but a second opinion is good.
Will a 12" clutch fit and if so, would it be over kill?
Do I ignore, chamfer, or plug the other holes?
What other gotya's am I missing?

I don't plan to tackle this for a couple of months, but I'm collecting parts early.

It needs lots more but this will make it reliable. Thanks, Tom

Posted on: 2012/12/27 2:36
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 Clipper Deluxe clutch problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day again Tom,

I'll leave the answers to your questions to the more knowledgeable and experienced V8 guys to supply.

But, like in your other post, I invite you to include your '55 Clipper Deluxe in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/12/27 3:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
9 inches? What is that thing doing in there? Stock 320 would be a 10.5, and the 352 got an 11" Even the old 288s had a 10 inch. 9 inch would be OK for a Nash Statesman.

Seriously tho, can't imagine what that thing is doing in there. I have never had any problems with the stock sizes even in a 56 Clipper with a 3.31 axle.

I'm kind of doubting if a 12 inch will fit, but don't know.

It is no problem to redrill if done accurately, and no need to fill the old holes unless the new disc rides over them.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 6:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Like those above, I've never seen or heard of a 9" clutch disc in a Packard V8. All of the flywheels I've seen were drilled for the same pressure plate. The only difference was the smaller clutch disc on the Clipper.

Just for reference, what is the diameter of your pressure plate?

Bottom line, you should be able to install a standard 10.5" or 11" disc and pressure plate.

I've got a couple on the shelf, but they're so heavy to ship, you'd probably be better off buying one at the local FLAPS. They're nothing special, used by millions of BrandX cars and pickups.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/12/27 12:27
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom Still
See User information
It's been about a decade and I have a mind like a steel sieve, it could have been 10". The second replacement was the largest and heaviest I could find that would fit the bolt pattern. I recall thinking there was an awful lot of unused surface area. The clutch is not riding and the flywheel surface is in good condition. I drove it out of the driveway, with difficulty, last week and I can park it in gear and walk away with the engine running. (I didn't) I recall considering the 68 Hurst Oldsmobile multiple disk pack, but I wasn't sure about throwout bearing clearance. It will be at least a month before it can be moved to the designated repair slot in my driveway, so, until I get the trans out, I'm guessing. I'll crawl under the car and see if I can get some exact measurements as soon as I can. The Orange Ca. Packard's International swap meet is coming up in February, I'd like to finish my wish list by then.
I'll report my findings, Thanks Tom

Posted on: 2012/12/27 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Something tells me the clutch pressure plate holes in the V-8 flywheels are the same for the 10 1/2" and 11" clutches?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/28 18:37
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved