Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1949 Super 8 speedometer
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

James Kallman
See User information
I have the same question as John Brinegar: For the 1949, Can the instrument panel (containing the speedometer and clock) be more easily removed than just removing the speedometer? Really hard to see the small speedometer housing screws when upside down, holding and looking in a mirror, holding a flashlight, and holding a screwdriver. So,
What fasteners hold that gauge panel to the instrument panel? There must be an easier way to remove the speedometer!

Posted on: 2013/2/7 6:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
After removing the seat bottom and laying on my back with a mirror and light, it came out from under. The above photo really helps to locate screw positions.
When placing it back in the console, it is much easier to use the star screws and a holder instead of the original flat heads.
I don't believe the whole console was designed to come out of the dash. It would be more difficult.
My speedometer had ceased, causing the cable to snap at the speedometer. More than likely a common cause. The speedo shop only charged $25 to redo the inner cable. Money well spent, making sure it was done right the first time.
It's crunch time BJ!

Posted on: 2013/2/7 8:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day bjsgarage,
Although a PackardInfo member for some time it's your first post, so !

And I invite you to include your '49 in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

bjsgarage wrote:
I have the same question as John Brinegar: For the 1949, Can the instrument panel (containing the speedometer and clock) be more easily removed than just removing the speedometer?...

The panel can be removed, but more easily... I don't think so. There is very little flex in the wiring so it would all have to be disconnected. You would still have to stand on your head to locate and undo the fasteners. Personally, I wouldn't mess with my instrument panel if for no other reason than I would run a big risk of damaging the pristine woodgrain finish.

Once you get the three screws out, and disconnect the odometer cable (if present) from the lower lip of the dashboard, removal of the small speedometer unit is a snap.

Here's a photo of the instrument cluster from the back. I 'borrowed' this image years ago... it's not very good.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.43 KB)
188_51151deb9c74f.jpg 1280X618 px

Posted on: 2013/2/8 10:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You also run the risk of destroying the old fabric wiring insulation. This was the biggest problem I faced when I pulled the dash in my friends 1950 to have the woodgrain redone.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 13:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
James(bjsgarage),
for including your '49 Custom Eight Club Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 21:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
If you give it a study, that console was not made to come out. It's easier to do with the seat removed from down under, when you know the whereabouts of the screw locations.
When you get it back in, you'll sit back and have a cool one, thinking it wasn't all that bad!

Posted on: 2013/5/8 23:42
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

James Kallman
See User information
Hopefully, I've installed the speedometer for the last time. The first time I removed the speedometer, I decided to remove the instrument panel first. Yes, the wires were stiff - but carefully pulling the cables out only enough to disconnect the leads seemed to work. With the whole instrument panel out it was easy to remove the speedometer and other gauges. I had them all service, including the clock. Having the instrument panel out gave the opportunity to clean up the lenses and remove any rust from the back of the panel. It cleaned up beautifully.
When the instruments came back from the repair shop (Bob's Speedometer Service) the looked like new. With the instrument panel on the workbench, it was just as easy to attach the instruments as it was to remove them. All the wires were reattached and the panel screwed back into the dash (4 phillips round head screws - two at the top sides; two at the bottom).
Unfortunately, while the odometer worked - the speedometer didn't. All the other gauges were fine. So, I removed the speedometer only from the instrument panel. And back to Bob's it went. When it came back, I had a dickens of a time trying to get the speedometer back in. Just couldn't manipulate the flashlights, mirrors, and screwdrivers. So, I lowered the steering column, took out the four screws holding the instrument panel to the dash, and gently pulled the instrument panel out about three inches. Now I could see where the screws were supposed to go. Using the old screw taped on the screwdriver trick, I was able to get the speedometer attached. Then the four instrument panel screws went back in.
The moment of truth. I reconnected the battery and took a short test run. Whew! It all worked. As I said, hopefully this will be the last time to take out the speedometer. Have pictures and more details if anyone wants them. James

Posted on: 2013/5/12 22:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved