Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

Kenbwisc, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Dual Oil Bath Air Cleaner conversion?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi All,

I have been reading a few threads and have noticed that there is a conversion to use standard paper air filters in the single 4bbl air cleaners for 55-56. I haven't been able to find if its possible to use paper filters with the dual carburetor setup? If anyone can point me in the right directions that would be great

Many thanks,

mathew

Posted on: 2013/4/15 21:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Dual Oil Bath Air Cleaner conversion?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
From all I have read the oil bath air cleaner is superior to the paper air filter. Go look at very expensive farm equipment and note they are all still using oil bath.
You have to keep replacing the paper filters when they get dirty. You must clean the oil bath and put a quart of fresh oil in it. Sounds much cheaper and more effective. Why did the car companies come up with the paper filters? To keep you buying refills I wouldn't swap out any of my oil bath filters, including my Caribbean, for a box full of paper filters.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 21:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Which is why I used a K&N. Baja 500....etc etc. 1million mile warranty. Better then paper and don't have to oil near as often as oil bath.

Nothing against paper personally.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 22:20
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Packard34, Should not be too difficult of a problem. Basically what you need is a modern pleated paper air filter element to replace the filter element in your oil bath unit. Just take the measurements of one of the original elements and match them up as closely as you can to a modern one. This entails going through the stock at your local auto parts store.

I have done this on my three Packards (115C, 2106, and 5542), and am most pleased with the results.

One of my least favorite jobs is servicing an oil bath air cleaner. This job requires a large container and a good amount of cleaning solvent in which to wash the filter element. Plus, compressed air is needed to blow the cleaning solvent out of the filter element. Not to mention the problem of disposing the old oil and cleaning solvent.

True, the oil bath air cleaners provide a superior air cleaning function, but the new modern pleated paper work excellently too, and without all the fuss and mess. If done correctly the new type filter element should not be obvious after the air filter unit is installed on the engine.

The photos show the job I did on my 1955 Clipper Super. Your air cleaners will be different, but you get the idea.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (21.38 KB)
565_516d65ba2cc0e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.72 KB)
565_516d65d11974a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.99 KB)
565_516d65df389c5.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/16 9:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Mat,

If you can't find something locally to fit you can try Mr Filter at 114-118 Toongabbie Road, Toongabbie NSW 2146.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 17:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Thank you for the help. The reason for changing is that the guy who originally redid the engine had the air cleaners powder coated and the particals from the powder coating was in the air cleaner mesh so naturally when the car was started this was all sucked into the engine which in turn with other issues constituted another rebuild. I have been able to find a suitable paper filter to use and now the car should run like a dream. Another lesson learned... The hard way!

Posted on: 2013/4/20 7:30
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Michael Lepay
See User information
What paper filter did you find to fit?

Posted on: 2013/9/3 13:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Don't blow compressed air into an oil bath filter, you can damage the filter material and make channels for unfiltered air to run through.

Just soak and swish in gas or solvent, let drip dry, and pour a little oil on before you install it.

The filter only needs service when the oil reservoir is full of dirt or nearly full. These days if you drive on paved roads, less than once a year, maybe as long as 5 or 10 years. Depending how much you drive.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 18:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
Yes you can. I'll try to get a part number off of mine & post.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Right up my alley on this one:

Actual particulate capture data is hard to find.

The oil bath system is very good for high dust conditions. They are used extensively in heavy equipment because of the absence of underhood precleaning from a radiator fan.

When they talk about efficiency they are measuring how much of what has been thrown at the unit is being captured. They weigh the thing before and after.

98.5% of particulates are under .5 microns which is finer than cigarette smoke.

Supposedly paper was judged superior from auto racing longevity, but that is an extreme situation with different flow characteristics than normal driving. However, paper is cheaper than metal and that special fiber (I forget what it is offhand but it is special) so you can understand why it is popular.

Whether or not oil bath filters lose efficiency with age has not been investigated, however, the performance of the VW Type 111 indicates that the oil bath system is good because those motors performed well even without an oil filter. Some testing claims a 95% reduction in PPM oil contamination using paper over oil bath in commercial trucking. But those are two stage filters and not your run of the mill underhood gravel strainers.

For a conversion I would make sure the seal is adequate, and of particular importance note that the carburetor flange is designed for low pressure differentials and so putting too restrictive a filter in place of the oil bath unit may result in a breach and loss of filtration.

And even more importantly: Take a look at the oil fill cap.
It should be oiled if the car is being driven.

I don't know what kind of nut decided to powder coat an air filter, but they should only be refinished using solvents. And preferably not even sanded. I have pictures of brand new Packards with dented air filters. Here is a nice big dent on the assembly line.

Ditto the compressed air note. Just follow the manual or instructions on the decal. Gasoline is the specified solvent and can be stored and reused with a stabilizer. Air should not be blown through any filter regardless of type.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.95 KB)
373_522c8b4d4ab1b.jpg 750X606 px

Posted on: 2013/9/8 9:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved