Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 228

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clutch plate alignment
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just curious what is commonly used in the Packard world to align the clutch plate these days. Don't have any extra input shafts so am debating trying to make something by turning a rod to dimension using some aluminum scrap or perhaps even buying a modern tool if something works. Since several have done clutches recently thought there might be some good answers.

The manual shows a tool which would perfectly align the plate. One end is inserted in the pilot bearing and the other in a locating piece in the housing bore. The clutch plate is held well centered while the pressure plate is tightened. I doubt many of you have that tool so just wondering what you use today.

I remember using a Harbor Freight tool many years ago and IIRC, it was less than satisfactory. The adapters didn't exactly fit the bearing well and there was no transmission or bellhousing end support. I seem to recall even with the tool it was still quite the fight to get the clutch & input shaft just right so it would slide thru and into the bearing. I'd rather avoid that much work today.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 18:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch plate alignment
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
With bellhousing removed the TRANSMISSION itself can be used to align the clutch disk. It is difficult due to the weight of the trans. Maybe put trans on a jack. When doing it this way try to shake the inoput shaft of trans in four directions to center it by eye for a closer fit.

I've used this method on some of the older smaller 3 spds of fords and plymouths and chevs of the 40's thru 1960's when i didn't have a tool or shaft to use under adverse service conditions..

Posted on: 2013/5/16 18:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Howard,

If all else fails, could try what we did with Noel's 356 in this post.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 21:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I had a bunch of pilots that were made in a lathe. Senior cars, Su 8, V-12, etc etc. But you can make one out of wood too.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 23:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I've known more than one mechanic, from back in the day, who would collect input shafts, from gear boxes that were otherwise destined for the scrap yard, for future use as clutch arbors. In a dealership focused on a specific brand or type of vehicle, there weren't that many variations - back then.

In a pinch, these same mechanics would resort to cutting off a section from the handle of an old shop broom.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 8:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
HH, The input shaft diameter of the transmission for the big block Fords of the late 60's is the same but the pilot bearing is smaller so I didn't have much luck with that shaft but the one I bought from Kinsborne fit perfectly. I can mail you the one I have since it probably isn't going to be used again. You can have it for postage.
I believe this is the one from a company called Kingsborne.
The 356 Packard is not listed but the 1962 Studebacker Diesel truck one is the same dimensions as the Packard trans so this is the one I bought and it worked perfectly. Perhaps Studebacker used the big Packard trans in those trucks?
I bought this one for $10 and the shipping is free so probably the cheapest way to get one.

http://www.clutchtools.com/index.php?productID=40132

Posted on: 2013/5/17 9:12

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks, Dave. Appreciate the offer but you still might need it again someday--at least that's been my experience. I thought I'd never do another car and look at me now.

I went ahead and made a tool. Not a broomstick but close. After reading what others had done, decided it didn't need to be as precise as I had thought. Had a piece of phenolic rod laying around that was just slightly over the needed diameter. Chucked it in the lathe & took off a few thousandths in a couple of spots. Seemed to do the job this morning but we'll see how well it worked when the trans gets up close and personal to the engine. At any rate, couldn't be any worse than the HF item used on the last standard shift car I played with.

Brings on the next question. In attaching the spring between the throwout assy & anchor point, I think I am missing something. There is an item called a "retaining pin, 3/16" used on the senior cars. All I have is a hole in the bellhousing of about that diameter.

In looking at what I believe to be my throwout spring & what Max shows, it just has hooks on each end. If that's the case, retaining pin would need some kind of eye. Could anyone describe what should be there and how large it is or have any photos? Mine may be thrown in with a box of who knows what. If not, I will try to make something if I have an idea of the proper length and looks.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 11:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Brings on the next question. In attaching the spring between the throwout assy & anchor point, I think I am missing something. There is an item called a "retaining pin, 3/16" used on the senior cars. All I have is a hole in the bellhousing of about that diameter.

In looking at what I believe to be my throwout spring & what Max shows, it just has hooks on each end. If that's the case, retaining pin would need some kind of eye. Could anyone describe what should be there and how large it is or have any photos? Mine may be thrown in with a box of who knows what. If not, I will try to make something if I have an idea of the proper length and looks.

The retaining pin is just a small clevis pin, 3/16" diameter by 31/64" long as listed for part # G138082 in group 50.555 in the utility parts list

Posted on: 2013/5/17 13:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks much. That's too obvious and easily handled. They used a different number for the same item. The 47 number shows the same basic pin from the prewar parts book.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 14:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved