Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 228

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have a friend here in Montana who just purchased a fairly nice 54 Patrician with the model number of 5452-3664. He is trying to find out roughly when his car was made and/or how many Patricians were made in 54. Anyone out there able to help him. He isn't very computer davy, so I'm acting as his go-between. I'll get some photos of the car and get them posted.

Also, the Ultramatic won't shift into low or reverse. Any quick suggestions? I'm trying to help him find a good transmission mechanic in this part of the world.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 21:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Lovely car, those 1954 Patricians! According to the Dawes book and other sources, 2760 Patricians built in 1954. His would be the 1664th one built.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 21:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks Owen. The conversations on the Ultramatic conversions are interesting. My friend was considering a 727 conversion, but maybe the Chevy one would work better. I would love to hear any experiences from someone who has done it - especially the cost and difficulty.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 10:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Downside to the Chevy trans with Bendtsens conversionhttp://www.transmissionadapters.com/Packard%20to%20Chev%20adapter%20kit.htm is the way the bellhousing adapter and ring gear is done. The starter motor changes to a modern small hi torque unit. Your friend might ask but I believe those starters are 12v and might be an issue if he wants to keep the rest of the car original. Don't recall anyone else making a Chevy conversion for an inline 8.

I believe there was at least one install with the Bendtsen or maybe he was thinking about it but haven't seen that poster on the forum for quite some time.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 13:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
IMO far less reason to change from an Ultramatic in a 54 and prior Packard. Behind the in-line 8 they have very good longevity, certainly better than some of their peers.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear David:

I've seen Ultramatics do that sort of thing due to cruddy fluid causing valves to stick.

Also make sure the linkage isn't out of wack.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 16:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
David,

Although your friend isn't "very computer savvy", what is the chance of having him include his '54 Patrician in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo? We can always use another member and another Packard in the Registry!

Posted on: 2013/5/20 15:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved