Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1952 buyer guide?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

carfixated
See User information
Hi all.

I am going to look at a 1952 4dr 200 ultramatic. Solid diriver as
advertized. Any tips on key issues to look for? Or issues that become perticular money pits if they need repair?

Thanks

Posted on: 2013/7/12 10:50
Older enough to know better. Fool enough to not care.

96 Celica GT Conv
15 Jeep Wrangler
(Post-war Packard, someday!)
 Top  Print   

Re: 1952 buyer guide?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Rust would be the obvious one. Packards were no different than others in that respect so prone in all the usual places -- rockers and trunk floor and particularly the trunk in the channel area just below lid opening generally go first. The front floorboard under and around the pedals and straight below dash are another.

No idea how familiar you are with Packard Ultras so that would be the other thing that costs if it needs a lot of work. If you are not familiar with them, then we can assist in what to listen or feel for. Generally, if maintained Ultras of that generation are fairly robust so if it's a driver chances are it's decent.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 11:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Chrome-very expensive to get stuff rechromed. Howard's point on the transmission-there is a lot of conversation on this web site regarding ultramatics-I think there is one on this web site for sale??

Posted on: 2013/7/12 11:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Body Work/Paint, Interior, and Chrome are the three most expensive items. More so than engine and transmission rebuilding. So buy the best car you can afford, and it will save you money in the long run.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 15:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day carfixated,
See you've been a member for a while, but first post so to PackardInfo.

If, after looking at the 52 4dr 200 ultramatic, you purchase it I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/7/12 19:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

carfixated
See User information
Thanks all.

Sounds like shopping for pretty much every other old car. Good to know.

Yeah, I have been a long-time dreamer of owning a post-war Packard, but never had one. I came very close more than once... a disassembled 49.... a driver 56 executive... I want a relatively budget driver to get my feet wet in Packarddom.

I even joined the local club but have yet to join them for any events (daughters of 9 & 2 keep us busy). And I chatted with the two big Packard vendors at Hershey last year. I like Packard folks.

I do not think my wife gets my "Packard thing". LOL

I'll post what I see after I check it out this weekend.

BIGKEV - Ooooo - I read all your project posts about a year ago. I remember your name from them. You contributed to my Packard passion! >grin<

Mike

Posted on: 2013/7/12 22:14

96 Celica GT Conv
15 Jeep Wrangler
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
I will second all of BigKev's cautions: body/paint, interior, and chrome are your biggest expenses. But my experience is that several small things can quickly add up to more than the car is worth as well, and parts aren't cheap. Doing the brakes, having the radiator rodded out, having the carburetor rebuilt, redoing the gas tank, replacing the fuel sender, replacing the temp sender, a new battery, a radio rebuild, a tranny service, etc can together mean $1000's of dollars, and that assumes a working, driving car.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 22:46
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

carfixated
See User information
Well I looked it over. I guess it is a $3,500 Packard: Inner rockers are pretty crispy & outer body has some puddy-n-paint ala Earl Schieb in it. Chrome was pretty pitted. Drove decent and the tranny was smooth. Original 60 year old interior.

Good candidate for a 'rat rod' or drive-till-it-drops, but too much money for that. If it was $2000 or so I would do it for giggles.

My quest or a solid original driver continues.

thanks!
Mike

Posted on: 2013/7/13 23:15

96 Celica GT Conv
15 Jeep Wrangler
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
What model of '52 is it? If it's a Clipper (aka 200) sedan, then I would say $1500 max based on that condition. If a 400 (Patrician) perhaps $2000-$2500.

Rust repair, paint, and chrome you are looking at least 5-7k if you do a lot of the prep work yourself.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 10:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I was reading though 1951-54 Packards in Hemmings and came on these 3 for your consideration.

This Mayfair sounds like it is all there. It isn't cheap, though ... $7,500 firm:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/packard/250/1580978.html

This is a very nice looking car for under $10,000 and would not require restoration:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/packard/clipper/1355713.html

Here is a 1952 in what I assume is miserable shape, but it is cheap ($800 OBO):

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/packard/200/1585125.html

Posted on: 2013/7/16 13:48
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved