Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 66

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

engine temperature in 327 straight 8
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe D'Agostino
See User information
I have a 1949 Packard fastback 327 cu in straight 8.
In summer time, it is running about 215 degrees F when idling. I just had the radiator rebuilt (recored) and have some small improvement. So next on the list is the water pump.

I have removed the thermostat and also have some small improvement. (It was a 160 degree thermostat).

The local mechanic tells me not to worry about the engine temperature. (He is an antique car mechanic) But something tells me that 215 degrees or any amount over 200 is too hot.

These cars were parade cars. Are you telling me that on the 4th of July, you can't have the car idling in a parade on a 95 degree day and expect the temperature to stay below 200 degrees F?

So the question is, is it reasonable to assume that I can work towards getting the car to stay below 200 degrees F on a hot day? After replacing the water pump, what is next? If it still runs hot, could the cooling channels of the block be calcified and thus affect the cooling ability of the cooling system?

I would appreciate an experienced enthusiasts comments.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 20:15
 Top  Print   

Re: engine temperature in 327 straight 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
If you are going to pull the water pump, I would suggest pulling the water distribution tube and checking its condition. They sometimes get clogged and keep water from getting to the rear cylinders. You can also flush the engine at that point and get out any debris that maybe in there.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 20:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe D'Agostino
See User information
Thank you. Is the water distribution tube a channel in the block? Or is it a replaceable tube?
I am asking to see if I need an extra part on hand or is this simply a matter of clearing out an existing channel in the block.
Now that you mention it, the rear of the motor was running about 10 degrees hotter than the front (measured with laser thermometer)

Posted on: 2013/8/5 21:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
check out this thread:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2237&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

I have a spare for $85, but I doubt if you will need it. Most of them are good even after 60 plus years. But they could probably use a good cleaning.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Joe, you need to assure that your cooling system is functioning. Removing the 160F thermostat is not going to cure your problem. I would re-install it. 10 degrees difference in temperature from front to back of the engine is certainly acceptable. After you have ascertained that the cooling system is doing what it is supposed to do check your ignition timing. Timing that is retarded or not advanced far enough will cause high engine temperatures.

(o{}o)

Edit: Another culprit is the manifold heat control valve. Make sure it is free and working and not stuck in the closed position.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 22:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Joe Dagostino,
See these are your first posts so to PackardInfo.

And I invite you to include your '49 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/8/5 22:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe D'Agostino
See User information
David,

I will buy your new one. I would rather have the new one available while the work is being done so I don't have to wait for it if the old one breaks upon removal.
How can I purchase it?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Here is a photo of my spare water distribution tubes. One is right side up and the other upside down. I will ship it in the heavy duty PVC pipe as the tubes are very thin brass and don't take kindly to being squashed. The other photo is of the end of the tube, just to give you an idea of how they work. Sent you a pm on the shipping.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.36 KB)
1679_52014e73a737c.jpg 428X640 px

jpg  (17.51 KB)
1679_52014e85bed8c.jpg 428X640 px

Posted on: 2013/8/6 14:29
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

azclassiccoach
See User information
I have been chasing the same problem with mine, I rebuilt the engine 1500 miles ago, had the radiator rebuilt put a five blade fan on it and a an auxilery electric fan that kicks on at 170 Degrees. It still runs 190 when driving and 210 at idle whith the temp being 110 outside im not sure what else to try

Posted on: 2013/8/7 7:37
Mike
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2013/8/7 7:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved