Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hand Throttle
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
I just bought a 41 120 Touring and I really love the car. Better yet, so does my wife. I have purchased the reprint owners manual as well as the shop manual (which I find a little skimpy on clear step by step directions), but since I really don't need to fix anything, not a problem.

On my dash is a small knob noted as "hand throttle" in the owner's manual. I though originally it was a choke, but it is not. It is something electric as I hear something move when I engage it. I have no idea what it is.

You are probably all laughing, but neither the Owner's manual nor the repair manual really say what the knob does. Can anyone please let me know? It is in the row of knobs left of the steering wheel.

Thanks much!

Posted on: 2008/7/22 20:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Hand Throttle
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As a confirmed automatic guy, I do feebly remember the olden days of sticks and believe it was there for the times one has to be a professional contortionist or would find it handy to have at least one extra foot to start on a hill.

One for the clutch, one to hold the brake and one to work the accelerator. The hand throttle takes the place of the extra accelerator foot. My father also used it as a rudimentary cruise control when his foot got tired.

As to why yours clicks-unknown. As I recall, the ones I've seen were just connected to accelerator linkage via bowden type cable and basically moved the linkage same as usual only further up.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 20:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The hand throttle does the same job as the foot throttle in other words gas pedal.

On newer cars you have an automatic choke that also includes an automatic throttle stop to increase idle speed when starting from cold.

On cars like yours there is a hand choke for starting and a hand throttle to increase idle speed.

When starting from cold you pull out the choke and throttle before turning the starter. The throttle only needs to come out a little bit, just enough so the engine will start and idle a little faster than normal. As the engine warms up you can push the choke and throttle in.

You want to have the choke out just enough so the engine runs smoothly without stalling. Likewise the throttle.

The hand throttle can also be used as a primitive cruise control on long straight roads but this is not recommended, as it is unsafe to do this. In the case of an emergency you could get into an accident before you could shove the throttle in and slow down.

For starting on hills there are 2 techniques. One is to use the hand brake to hold the car, slowly releasing it as you pull away. This gives you both feet free to control the clutch and gas pedal.

The other is to put your right foot on the gas and brake pedal simultaniously, rolling off the brake and onto the gas. This is known as "heel and toeing" and is considered a rather advanced driving technique.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 21:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
By the way when setting the hand throttle it is recommended to step on the gas pedal, pull out the throttle and release the gas pedal. This is easier on the mechanism than simply pulling out the knob.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 21:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
I drove my Clipper 900 miles this weekend and was wishing for a 'hand throttle' or a 'cruise control.'

I am spoiled by all the modern conveniences and safety features of modern cars.

DanL

"Today's luxury is tomorrow's necessity."

Posted on: 2008/7/22 23:37
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

41 Touring wrote:
I just bought a 41 120 Touring and I really love the car. Better yet, so does my wife...........

G'day 41 Touring,

Welcome to the site, as you've already found a place where Packard people are willing to share their experience and knowledge. If you haven't already done so could you please add your '41 to the Owner Registry together with a pic and history, if known?

Posted on: 2008/7/23 4:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
41 Touring, Rusty's description of the hand throttle is correct, except for one thing. You do not need to pull the hand throttle out to start your car. Your '41 is equipped with an automatic choke that will close the choke plate in the carburetor the correct amount, and will also activate a fast idle to run the engine at a slightly higher speed when it is cold. These hand throttles are useful when you need to have the engine idle at a faster than normal speed. Using them as a cruise control is not recommended. The noise you hear is probably the hand throttle cable moving the linkage. Enjoy your Packard, this was a great year for them.

Posted on: 2008/7/23 11:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
41 Touring,

Thanks for including your '41 in the Owner Registry. Part of the comments included there intrigue me, being this: "Factory A/C (don't get too excited, in this year it was a big turbine unit that you filled with ice and hung out the window. It was a $275.00 option!". Could you give us a pic of this device please?

Posted on: 2008/7/24 13:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
We jokingly refer to the out the window "swamp" (evaporative) cooler units on cars as JATOs. They only work it environments were the humidity is low. My house is actually cooled with a residential version. Very popular form of residential and business A/C in the SouthWest US.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 14:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is a link to a company that reproduces them:

http://www.classicaire.com/RamAir.htm

Posted on: 2008/7/24 14:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved