Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 199

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Dave Czirr and his 34 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Dave

Congratulations on being featured, read and enjoyed the article thoroughly. You set a fine example of the conservator approach to classic car restoration and preservation. Would that there were many more people that did as you have for a half century and counting. That's a wonderful car, I've had the pleasure to see it a number of times, everytime amazed by its mostly original condition.

Steve

Posted on: 2013/9/17 7:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Dave, Im still trying to figure out how and why your axle broke? Rough road? Metal fatigue? Do you mind sharing that with us?

Posted on: 2013/9/17 8:01
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
No Cormorant here yet. I can hardy wait, Congratulations Dave.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 11:20

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My thanks to all of you who read, enjoyed, and commented on the article; it's been a great 50 year journey, made more-so due to the company of some of you folks.

BDC, those rear axles are really monstrous and robust, I suspect failures were nearly unheard of. When inspecting the break, it was a clean fracture and a major part of the fractured surface was fresh, clean and bright steel but with a small segment of age discoloration so I suspect the axle had a flaw from the get-go. Not an easy axle to find, right and left are different lengths and the use was only on the 34 Eight (1100-01-02) and those 33 Eights with 14 inch brakes.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 9:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I would think the axle could be welded. The axle on our Speedster broke during the 10,000-mile one-month run around the U.S. in 1995. A guy who normally fixes farm equipment in L.A. (that's Lower Alabama) welded it before the replacement part arrived. The welded axle is still in the car and has gone several more thousands of miles.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 10:05
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I did consider that, West, your repair has done well but there are more stores of axle repairs with poor outcomes than successes. If I were unable to find another axle I was going to have a new one manufactured but in the end I finally found an entire rear axle assembly, the brake drums and everything in between, from the McGowan Bros. up in CT for just $200 or so.

I'll take a look at the broken stub today and see if a picture might be informative.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The stage coach carrying U.S. Mail with the Cormorant has not arrived in Austin. Maybe it is stuck up in Salado and staying at the Inn? Looking forward to reading O_D's article.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/9/18 10:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Dave,
it takes a while for post to come to the U.K with the Cormorant but I'm looking forward to reading your article about you 34. When did the axle break?
Take care
T

Posted on: 2013/9/18 11:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When did the axle break?

It broke within a week of my getting the car home from the 1999 Centennial in Ohio, probably the next time I took the car out. I was about 2 miles from home, stopped at a traffic light; the light turned green, I did the usual with the clutch and gas but the car didn't move even though the speedometer showed speed. Took me a second or two to figure out what had happened. AAA flatbed to the rescue.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 12:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Well The Packard Cormorant finally arrived. And, although it's been a while, well worthwhile with Dave's clear, well written and interesting article more than compensating for the wait. Dave, thankyou for sharing your story and the various insights into your Packard and passion.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 20:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved