Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 88

Jimmyk, BigKev, JackL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

towing capacity
Just popping in
Just popping in

chris p
See User information
I have a 1948 camper that weighs about 4000 lbs. I want to pull it with a 1948 Super 8. Can it do the job?

Posted on: 2014/2/4 7:50
 Top  Print   

Re: towing capacity
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day chris p,
to PackardInfo. Sorry, while I don't have any firsthand knowledge or experience to answer your query, I imagine someone will. One thought that comes to mind though is brakes. Being all drums, your '48 will suffer from 'brake fade' after repeated stops especially with the combined towing weight of your Packard and camper.

However, putting that aside, I invite you to include your '48 Super 8 in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2014/2/4 13:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
In my personal opinion I would not trust a 1948 Su8 to tow a 4000 lb. trailer. The Su8 may be able to get the whole rig rolling, but your biggest problems are getting it to stop and maintaining control while you are underway.

In the state of Michigan an independent braking system is required when gross weight exceeds 3,000 lbs. In Ohio their requirement is 2000 lbs. I spoke to my brother about this as he worked as a project engineer for one of the largest OEM suppliers of trailer hitches for the auto/pickup industry. He is unaware of any 6V electrically-operated braking systems you can add to the trailer or you Packard. And he does not trust the mechanical/inertia systems to keep your trailer behind your car in a stress situation.

BTW, are you a member of Motor City Parkards? If not then you need to join. We have a GREAT garage tour coming up on February 15th to see some custom-bodied Packards, Duesenbergs and Cords. And we have former Stude/Packard engineer, Jack Smith, as our guest speaker. More info on our web site:http://www.motorcitypackards.com/index.php

Posted on: 2014/2/5 11:43
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I wholeheartedly agree that attempting to safely tow 4000lbs behind a 48 Packard would be a mistake. Even if you adapted brakes to the Packard/trailer, you would still not have the necessary control (acceleration, visibility, overall steering and braking) for such a setup.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 12:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
How did Wally Byam do it?
If you want to badly enough you will find a way...safely...

I hope it works for you; it is a neat idea.

Of course you have to be nuts to think that way....

Be sure and take at all times an extra helping of prudence....

Posted on: 2014/2/6 14:55
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In my opinion it's a poor idea but you might want to look thru the frame strengthening and reinforcing recommendations that Packard suggested for trailer towing with their 55 models and see how that might translate to an earlier model. I believe it's TSB 55T-27.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 16:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
One other thing to be thankful of/about: Ultramatic.

You don't have it!

I'm really not going against OD; I just believe in dreams.

That said, be sensible and careful about every aspect of this project.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 21:12
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Over the years I have towed a lot of car trailers carrying Packards with Packards. My 53 Clipper Deluxe with Ultramatic was an excellent tow vehicle with very positive braking for an Automatic box, particularly in Low range. But then the 327 does not put out enough torque to worry the Packard transmissions. I have not towed more that 2000 lbs with my twin Ultra 56 Patrician and that is because the TL suspension appears not to be able to handle more than around 500 lbs downward on the towball ( with say another 300 lbs in the trunk) without the TL bottoming out. I have towed car trailers with the 38-120 with the R6 overdrive and it is fine but R6 Overdrive is only for the flat country, not hilly country. although I have fitted uplift spring helpers to the spring pack and you definitely need to reweld the rear axle spring saddles onto the differential banjo as they are very lightly secured. I broke a set on my 38-120 a few months ago during a vigorous acceleration/ heavy loaded situation. A buddy brace is also needed on the rear chassis cross channel behind the fuel tank. Dont rely on the chassis dumb irons alone.
IMHO, it is a marginal exercise but if for the sake of authenticity, you are towing a 1948 caravan with a 1948 or thereabouts vehicle, and you are reasonably careful, then it would not stop me from doing it. You need to look at your local regulations of course to see if you can legally carry out this activity. Good Luck. PT

Posted on: 2014/2/7 1:45
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
..the TL suspension appears not to be able to handle more than around 500 lbs downward on the towball

Peter, your observation is very consistent with what Packard said for the 1955's and towing. They recommended for vertical loads on the tow bar of over 500 lbs, that the frame side rails be reinforced, a load-leveling type hitch be used, and that supplemental lifts be installed. Just confirming, it's in STB 55T-27.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Back in the 70's we used the 55 Patrician to pull with chains our 66 Chrysler back to town. No tow bar, just pulling, with the Ultramatic.

When I got the Patrician, I always loved it when the torque converter would lockup, it was like the car dropped down, and wax ready to go!

Posted on: 2014/2/7 12:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved