Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Heat shield
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
In case you decide to "roll your own". The thickness of the tab metal is roughly .10" while the shield metal is around .045".

Attach file:

jpg  (37.40 KB)
188_5304f605a98a9.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2014/2/19 13:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
JD, Thanks for going to the trouble of gathering photos and dimensions. A big help to me and maybe others completely missing the shield and who wish to make one.

Now the question might be why Packard felt the 356 needed it but the other inline 8's did not. Is there that much difference in manifold and carb layout or does the 356 run so much warmer that it proved necessary?

Posted on: 2014/2/19 13:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Good question. My '50 doesn't have one fitted currently (some odd protrusion on the carburetor currently prevents installation). The '50 doesn't overheat and I've never had a vapor lock problem even in triple digit weather (knock on wood).

Edit: I do use real gasoline.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 13:37
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Could it be based on the model/type of carb being used? Perhaps one needed the shield more that the other.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 13:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Stromberg before the war, Carter after the war...
Am I correct?

Posted on: 2014/2/19 15:40
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
That's correct. All three of mine have Carter 531S carburetors due to a transplant of a '48 356 into the '41 Limo but it should have a Rochester.

Edit: They may have made the changeover in '42 now that I think about it. I think the '42 Seniors have the accelerator pedal starters (Carter).

Posted on: 2014/2/19 15:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The shield seems hit or miss. They used same group # and item but called it a "deflector" on most 17th series, nothing mentioned for 18th series, different part# but same one (now called shield) used for most 19th series and then a different number apparently used on just the 356 engine for 20 - 23rd series. Maybe it is carb mfg that determines.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 16:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved