Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

356 spark plus wires
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
What's a good source for a set of spark plug wires for a 1948 356 Packard? The one size fits all set from Kanter?

Posted on: 2014/2/22 10:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 356 spark plus wires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you really want authenticity the best answer is to buy the components and make up your own. For many years Cole Ignition in upstate NY offered true OEM style kits but I'm not sure if they are still in business. You might also see what Brillman has to offer.

http://brillman.com/store/

Posted on: 2014/2/22 10:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure which wire is correct for your car. Kanter advertises his set in the 40-50 catalog as black lacquered cloth. For about the same price, Dwight Heinmullerhttp://www.packardparts.org/products/packard-parts lists his "type A" set as rubber covered Packard 440 wire with the straight non booted terminals for all 40-52 models.

Posted on: 2014/2/22 10:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Potomac Packard offers the correct wires and connectors, as do other wire makers.

Posted on: 2014/2/22 10:51
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not sure when the transition was made (someone else will know) but Packard 440 wire is incorrect for prewar engines, they were black lacquered cloth overwrap going back to 1935 or so. 1933-34 used a silver/gray lacquered cloth overwrap and eyelets and knurled thumb screws instead of connectors which pushed over the ferule.

Posted on: 2014/2/22 11:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Authenticity is great but I went thru 2-3 spark plug wire sets when I had a 49 288 Packard from one of the vendors mentioned above(I donot want to start a fight with that vendor). The failure mode would be the wire would start leaking to ground after about 1 year-you could hear the sparks. The vendor replaced each set no charge. I sold the car with the last new set installed-I think they were lacquered coated.

Posted on: 2014/2/22 11:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The best sets I got came from Max Merritt. I thought they were great.

Posted on: 2014/2/22 17:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Thank you all for your feedback!

Posted on: 2014/2/22 20:12
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I know they do make rubber plug wires that are then cloth covered and lacquered for appearance sake. So best of both worlds.

I bought some vintage plug boots and a partial spool of 440 wire from ebay and made my own. The ones I got from a vendor were a little too short for my liking and the plugs were not the correct style.

Posted on: 2014/2/24 15:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I know they do make rubber plug wires that are then cloth covered and lacquered for appearance sake

That's how the original cloth covered and lacquered wires were made!

Posted on: 2014/2/24 16:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved