Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 235

BigKev, Don B, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Ebay exhaust systems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Even though the 47 is starting to look as if it may never get off jackstands, am looking anyway for a complete exhaust system I can bolt in myself while I can still get under. Nothing fancy, no stainless.

See there are two predominant vendors selling on ebay. Klasskollection in NC which I believe to be Kepich and another called Classic Car Exhaust in Ohio. Both sets are priced comparably -- within $12 when you factor in freight.

I did business with Kepich many years ago with the 56 and had minimal to no issues. Another poster had some photos of a recent set for his 56. IIRC, he said that system was made by Kepich. From photos posted, that was not my idea of an acceptable job.

No idea who Classic might be but has anyone done business for sure with either recently and would you do it again -- or know of any other to recommend. The 47 system price is in the $200-220 range and I'd like to stay in that area.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 21:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Ebay exhaust systems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Am surprised that someone had problems with a Kepich exhaust. I have installed probably dozens of them with very little issue other than sometimes a pipe might be a bit too long. He makes the tailpipes in two pieces for much cheaper shipping, which also makes them easy to install. With unleaded gas the aluminized exhausts seem to be just about permanent and to my ear sound MUCH better than the stainless ones.

Now, the ones his father made back in the 70's were another matter.....

Posted on: 2014/4/7 21:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, I ordered an exhaust pipe, a muffler, and a tail pipe from Kipich for my 47 Custom Clipper. The only way I could get the exhaust pipe installed was to cut it and then sleeve the two pieces together. The existing exhaust pipe was no longer serviceable and could not be reused. The muffler went on fine. Even though the tail pipe was in two pieces, I could not get it to fit. This, with the rear axle on the springs, and the stabilizer bar and shocks removed. I ended up using the old tail pipe as it was still serviceable.

I returned a second exhaust pipe and the tail pipe. Kipich was most helpful and understanding, and accepted the returned pipes without any hassle. Thinking about it now, I may have been able to get the exhaust pipe to go on by removing the front motor mounts and jacking the engine. Why the tail pipe would not fit is still a question in my mind. The parts were quality made and their service was great. I say give them a chance and see what happens.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/4/7 21:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I dealt with Classic and had to have the resonator pipes bent so that they would install properly. I picked them up at the
"factory". I was lucky to have local talent and machinery able to apply a tighter radius to the inlet pipes for the resonator. I won't buy there again.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 21:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Kepich has been selling exhaust systems for decades. That's why I was surprised when the one I received was so long and so wrong.

I stupidly assumed he would send the correct components because of his long-time experience. I had them coated with ceramic without first attempting a complete installation. So I was stuck with them. I wound up going to muffler shop so at least the tail pipe wouldn't be pressed against my gas tank.

Plus Oregon is a long way from Florida. He kind of blew it off. Cut the pipe. It'll fit. I know some vendors refer to customers as cry babies. Maybe deserved in some cases. Because of the ceramic treatment on pipes and muffler I won't need another. But what did Packard owners do in the olden times? Many went to a muffler shop and had a new one fitted.

I might price that out. I don't think there are many genuine NOS Packard exhaust systems around, so what's the difference? Maybe just buy the muffler.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 23:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I also had great luck with Kepich, and I think there are a few advantages of giving him my business vice a local shop- his muffler looks very period correct, he has a knowledge of these old cars such that the parts are in the right spot, not just routed in a way that fits, and the pipe is nicer than most local shops I've dealt with. His pipe was challenging to get on my car ('37 115c) but it was due to tight tolerances and small spaces vice poor construction. I would buy from him again.

Posted on: 2014/4/8 1:14
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I also installed an aluminized exhaust System from kepich on my 53 clipper and am happy with the fit and all bends. Hangers and clamps are not included in the kit, just so you know what to expect. Clamps are a standard size and the hangers you will either have to re-use your old ones or get from one of The usual Packard vendors, or make your own.

Posted on: 2014/4/8 6:52
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the feedback. It looks as if in spite a a couple of problems, Kepich still gets an overall nod. With the past reasonable experience, will go with them again and hopefully be lucky enough to get another system with only minimal problems.

Posted on: 2014/4/8 8:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I bought the ebay system for my 57 Clipper the two piece tail pipe made for a clamp and joint where the pipe goes between the chassis and gas tank which has little space without clamp. Not like original which is one piece. The system did not match the originals on car in bends or length. I wanted a steel system but not one that did not fit.
Rather than go to trouble of having pipes modified and not enjoying trying to use parts that don't fit properly. I then ordered a system from Don Simmons in Canada made of stainless which matched the original pipes exactly including one piece tail pipes . Dons pipes went on with no need to do anything except get under car and install. I'm to old and picky to fight with the wrong parts. He told me he has original pipes which he uses to check his work. His pipes were all I wanted except they are stainless. If some ones wants the steel system contact me.

Posted on: 2014/4/8 9:30
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I used Kepich for the '49 last fall and it fit perfect. It's not an easy placement, does thruough the the frame and I had to figure out how to wiggle it in there but fit like a glove. I picked it up at his place. Prices was good.

Posted on: 2014/4/9 19:36
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved