Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

Ross, Duncan Michael, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1937 hood installation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Would either of the pieces be able to have a bushing or a sleeve added to compensate for wear?

Posted on: 2018/1/20 14:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Doug P,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '37 115c in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/1/20 15:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I'm with Flack on this one and I'll add.....it's a total PITFA to get the damn thing back on. My dad and I spent several hours and I can't believe we didn't completely jack up the paint when mine had to go back on. Much luck to you.

Posted on: 2018/1/21 12:02
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Doug Porter
See User information
From my inexpert analysis, it seems that if the driver's side is opened too far, it tends to bend the hooked area on the hood so that it doesn't engage the clip. Looks like less of an issue when opening the other side. I'm not sure what to do about it other than try to bend it back to its original shape and be much more careful when opening it.

Posted on: 2018/1/22 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
before you bend anything that old/stressed, not made anymore,
maybe hard to find, 'cause it appears to be an issue on all the cars so affected and the demand may be high for spares, so maybe it's a good idea to have a spare? Just my 2 cents.

Posted on: 2018/1/22 18:42
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
The front and rear hold down clips were reproduced by San Diego region Of Packards International, they are shown on the San Diego P.I. website. Not one of PMCCs'better ideas.
Good Luck. Packard 385

Posted on: 2018/1/22 23:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just being nosy but what goes into that clip? Is it a rod that is supposed to stay in the clip but is not when the hood is opened or is the problem somewhere else?

If it is a rod that should stay in the clip but isn't, the repro clip looks to be cast bronze but the shape looks to be different than the factory clip so maybe improved??http://packardsandiego.com/Packard-Parts/shop/

If it is a rod, as long as it doesn't need to come out or move each time the hood opened It should be easy enough to add a setscrew or maybe an L shaped piece of sheetmetal to the clip. The repro clip looks thick enough to thread for a setscrew. Use some anti seize to make sure nothing corrodes so as to be able to remove the screw if the hood needed to come off.

If the rod needs to move when opened then maybe the screw wouldn't work but a barely noticeable thin sheetmetal guard held by a mounting screw against the open side of the clip might. Surely someone could come up with a solution.

Posted on: 2018/1/23 0:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2018/1/23 1:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Doug Porter
See User information
The clips seem okay to me and the replacement clips are very expensive ($70 per pair).

I think the hood metal is in good enough shape to bend back to the original configuration. It's a little hard to determine what that is however. If anyone has a good photo of what that should look like, I'd love to see it.

Wish me luck!

Posted on: 2018/1/23 11:56
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Doug Porter
See User information
Howard-

There is no rod. The edge of the hood is rolled into a "C" shape that slides into the clip. The issue is that over time, the metal in the hood isn't sufficiently strong to maintain is shape and when it deforms, it won't stay engaged in the clip. It's a poor design that was only used for one year.

Posted on: 2018/1/23 12:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved