Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 237

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Kanter Bros 734 Speedster
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Another Owen_Dyneto pic in "Recent Photos" has caught my eye, this one being the Kanter Bros 734 Speedster.

O_D's description is: Fred Kanter (in matching pants/shirt) with the Kanter Bros. 734 Speedster, body type #452 (roadster but not the boattail roadster). For those not to familiar with the 7th series Speedster series, they came in 5 body styles, the regular and boattail speedsters, phaeton, sedan, and coupe victoria (a/k/a 2 dr sedan). The Speedsters used the larger engine with special carburetion and manifolding and a special 3.31 rear axle in the smaller series frame with lightweight bodies - muscle cars of the day.

Another interesting pic O_D. Good to see the vendors are plowing back the profits into the hobby and getting into the spirit of things with clothing color co-ordinated with the car. Thanks also for the commentary detailing the 7th series Speedsters and the information about their mechanical features. Be interested to see pic's of the special carburetion and manifolding and to know more about the lightweight bodies.

EDIT - Click on pic to enlarge

Attach file:

jpg  (82.56 KB)
226_48db28ac6b6f6.jpg 1024X671 px

Posted on: 2008/9/25 1:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Kanter Bros 734 Speedster
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i saw that same pic, i love the car. i thought to myself, hey i have a model packard that looks the same and is the same color. don't know for sure if it is the same car, but it is the same color and looks similar. it is a small diecast model i got from like hobby lobby or something a long time ago.

great pic though ;0)

Posted on: 2008/9/25 10:22
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Responding to Cli55er, if you've got the Kimes book you'll find a quite thorough discussion of the 734 Speedster series beginning on page 304, but let me paraphrase a bit of it for those that don't have it.

The Packard line in 1930 consisted of the 7=26 and 7=33 series of Eights (320 cubic inch engine) and the 7=40 and 7=45 series of DeLuxe Eights (385 ci engine). For the speedster series they selected the 7=33 frame (but called in a 7=34 to avoid confusion) and used the big DeLuxe Eight engine with lots of modifications. The block casting was different; the manifolds were bolted onto 45 degree faces (as in later standard engines) for larger ports and better breathing. The exhaust manifold was in a straight line rearwards (no heat box connection to the inlet) and finned; exhaust valve diameter was increased. The carburetor was a unique Detroit Lubrication dual throat updraft, a very rare item today, I believe a recent reproduction of them goes for about $5000. There was also a muffler cutout.

Standard compression ratio was 4.85/1 for 125 hp though a 6.0/1 was offered for 145 hp. The high compression head had metric plugs which is why many spark plug charts indicate two different plugs for 1930, causing occasional confusion among the less-informed. Standard factory-recommended rear axle ratio was 4/1 but a 3.3/1 was offered as well and generally found mostly in the open (lighter) bodies. Many Speedsters came with a factory-mounted tachometer. Transmission was the 4-speed which was carried on thru the very early 9th series cars. 1st gear is so low that many later buyers never realized it was there.

Bodies were about 3/4 inch narrower and considerably lower than the regular bodies and open cars had a lower windshield as well. All were marked "Custom Made by Packard". Although there were a very few 6th series Speedster on the 626 chassis, the Speedster line was discontinued after the 7th series. They were all expected to reach 100 mph.

I've had the pleasure years back of driving two different 7=34 Speedsters, both belonging to George Jepson, one of the founders and early presidents of the CCCA. He had both a phaeton and a boattail. Oh that I could have taken one on the open road but alas, I only got to drive them in a local parade or two.

As to the Kanter Bros., they are both quite active in the hobby; Dan had driven his 55 Caribbean to the last two Packard Nationals from NJ to South Bend and then Des Moines, has been on some of the club tours, and also is often found at local Packard Club picnics and shows. I believe they still have one of the 4 Panther Daytonas and quite a few others.

Posted on: 2008/9/25 13:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
.......The block casting was different; the manifolds were bolted onto 45 degree faces (as in later standard engines) for larger ports and better breathing. The exhaust manifold was in a straight line rearwards (no heat box connection to the inlet) and finned;
.......The carburetor was a unique Detroit Lubrication dual throat updraft, a very rare item today, I believe a recent reproduction of them goes for about $5000. There was also a muffler cutout
.......Many Speedsters came with a factory-mounted tachometer
.......I believe they still have one of the 4 Panther Daytonas .....

Thanks for the further info O_D. And any chance of pic's to illustrate these features

Posted on: 2008/9/26 0:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry, I don't believe I have any pictures of the 7th Series Speedster engines, but I'm certain there are some in back issues of The Packard Cormorant, if I run across any I'll try to remember to post them here.

Of the many exhilirating experiences at the Packard Centennial in Warren OH in 1999 was the opportunity to see all 5 body style Speedsters. It was the first and only time I've seen the sedan (#443) and coupe-victoria (#447). I do have pictures of both of them and will try to dig them out. Off the topic, but another such experience at the Centennial was seeing all 4 Panthers.

EDIT: Adding what I believe is a picture of a 7=34 Speedster in body style 447, the coupe victoria. True to the spirit of the speedster, it has only the rear mounted spare to save weight.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.71 KB)
177_48dcfa9327915.jpg 1189X793 px

Posted on: 2008/9/26 8:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Driving George Jepson's speedster-runabout is the most wonderful driving experience I've ever had. I have had the pleasure of doing several cross-country trips with it since my father bought it in 1974. The two most memorable trips included 1,000 miles through Colorado on the 'Colorado Grand' in 2004, and a trip from Atlanta to Auburn, Indiana, to Philadelphia and back to Atlanta. The best part about driving the 734 Speedster is that is is just as much at home driving on slow, curvy roads as it is driving 75mph on the freeway. It is equipped with its original, though expertly rebuilt by Heinmuller, dual-throat carburetor.

For anyone interested, it is scheduled to be at Hershey this year, and then on to the CCCA CARavan immediately following. It is estimated that the car currently has some 300,000 miles on it.

Owen: One correction. The reproduction carburetors were being advertised at $25,000, not $5,000. I believe they could sell all they could make at $5,000.

Posted on: 2008/9/29 15:15
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The best part about driving the 734 Speedster is that is is just as much at home driving on slow, curvy roads as it is driving 75mph on the freeway.

And I'll bet it doesn't have radial tires, either!!!

Posted on: 2008/9/29 16:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I'll bet you're right.
I remember when I first laid my eyes on Nethercutt's Style 447 speedster coupe-victoria at Warren in 1999. I was sorely disappointed in the choice of color, and the use of white sidewall tires.

Posted on: 2008/9/30 10:02
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Speaking of Speedsters, I have a factory photo of 734 two/four-passenger coupe (rumble seat). I'd post it, but it's in my dad's file 500 miles south of here. This is a car that was not advertised, nor is it known to exist.

Posted on: 2008/9/30 10:05
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree with you about the color choice on the 447; I suppose a Speedster might be entitled to a bit more flair than say a 733 sedan, but those colors turn me chilly, not warm. I'm still looking thru my Warren 1999 pictures looking for the picture of the Speedster sedan but haven't found it yet - do you remember the name of the owner at the time?

Posted on: 2008/9/30 14:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved