Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

r1lark, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1947 R9 Overdrive
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Philip
See User information
I have a 1947 Packard super Clipper that has a R9 overdrive. It needs planetary gear needle bearings and shafts replaced. I was wondering if the 3 Planetary gear set in the R9 can be replaced with the 4 Gear set from the R11 Overdrive? I understand that they are stronger and they look the same except for the extra gear. Was also wondering where to get internal parts for the overdrive.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 8:01
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 R9 Overdrive
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure the R11 planetary would fit as the units are different mechanically and the R11 planetary assy has a different part number than the R9 version.

You can swap planetary assemblies but I believe it would have to be from an R9. You said your car is a Super Clipper. If you have the 2103 with the 356 engine your OD should have the 4 planetary setup from the factory. If it does not someone has probably swapped units or assemblies before. Does your OD have R9 or R9A-1 cast on the passenger side. The A-1 is the 4 planetary.

Have you tried Kanter for the parts? Other than finding a complete used assy he would probably be the best for individual pieces. There may be a couple of people here on the forum with units suitable for parting that might have the pieces. Once you determine exactly what you need a post in the wanted forum might bring some results.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 8:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
As I remember from my 48 custom the the 3 and 4 gear units are different as I could not get every thing to fit till I went with an a-1 case. And that was with all R-9 parts.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 9:00

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I believe it correct that the gears are NOT apples to apples interchangeable.
I do have a shelf full of individual R9 parts, gears, bearings, etc. Please advise your needs and I am likely to be able to supply, including planetary assemblies.

DAF

Posted on: 2015/8/10 9:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When first reading the post I was actually kind of wondering if his car came from Calif until I remembered the first 47 I had in the early 80s was a 2106 Custom and not a Super. I did that very thing in reverse because the 4 planetary setup on that car had one pinion seized and something else wrong.

I was younger then and didn't know any better and when a friend said he had an OD I could have I proceeded to swap parts rather than the entire unit because it looked harder to swap the entire unit. The gift OD was a 3 pinion setup and IIRC it did take one or two pieces more than just the pinion and cage assy.

As I recall, it wasn't a big job as I didn't have a lot of tools or work space then. Didn't change cases or anything like that but maybe there is a case difference and pieces from the larger unit into a smaller can't be done without the case change. I remember the friend was a little annoyed when I gave him back my old pieces and a torn apart OD assy but I was in a condo and had no space for junk parts. It was either that or throw the stuff away.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 9:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Philip
See User information
Thanks for the quick reply. I need the Planetary 3 gear set as it would seem from the posts that the R11 parts are not interchangeable. My OD case is also cracked at the mounting flange. I think I can get it welded but will have to see. From another post it would seem that the Supper Clipper was supposed to have the 4 planetary gear set but mine does not I think mine is just a straight R9 not the R9A-1 but will check. The problem with mine is the needle bearings are destroyed and the three shafts that hold them in. I may also need the bronze bushing plates. Everything else looks OK. Will have to check the trans as well since the needle bearings turned to shrapnel. I purchased a rebuild kit from Kanter but it does not include the parts I need.

Philip
fm090@ncf.ca

Posted on: 2015/8/10 10:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I will pull the inventory of planetary gears this evening as well as the bronze bushing (plates?), which if memory serves me is pressed inside another gear. I know I have the bushing separately, as well as in the gear with the bushing. Will photo some stuff and advise late tonite...

The parts manual is online if you do not have, along with plenty of other Overdrive resource information. It would really help if you could define the requested parts by number.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 10:35
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Philip
See User information
I have a copy of the manual and will check the appropriate part#'s Thanks everyone for all the advise. Up here in Canada Packard's and all the parts are not easy to come by.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 10:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Philip(Packard 1947),
to PackardInfo and for including your '47 Custom Super Clipper Eight Long WB Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 14:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
OK, let's go back up to the question of whether the 3 gear planetary is interchangeable with the 4 gear planetary. R9. I have just visually compared them and they look pretty darn near same to me. Tell me where to check with the micrometer and I will. Maybe the outer sleeve (cage) is different? I DON"T KNOW.

What is really perplexing, subject to our poster updating the data, is that he has registered his car as a 2151(Custom Super 356"), and yet he has a 3 gear planetary in hand. Well maybe it has 3 gears because the 4th has gone super nova - point being, the 4 gear planetary was exclusive to the 356/senior/R9A overdrive. Maybe that's why if there was a 3 gear it failed?

Anyway, point being, I have a good used 4 gear - awaiting more info, details, pictures, comments, questions. I am not an overdrive mechanic. Parts hound, yes....Mechanic, NO.

And Howard...just what recollection do you have putting a 3 gear in an R9A?

Attach file:

jpg  (123.25 KB)
439_55c96b44bb7bf.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (14.56 KB)
439_55c96b5ac1ee0.jpg 360X270 px

jpg  (77.14 KB)
439_55c96b791f3f3.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/8/10 22:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved