Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1947 R9 Overdrive
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Philip,
Again This time for including your '37 Super Eight Touring Sedan in the Registry.

Besides the interesting story about the car, the question you raised at the entry of the entry of "My dad passed away last December and I don't have the place to work on it so we are thinking of selling it to someone who would restore it and not rod it or modify it to death. Would anyone know what it would be worth?" would be better to post that in one of the Forums, the Pre-War probably suiting it best. But seeing I've raised it here you may get answers anyway. All the best!

Posted on: 2015/8/10 23:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
As far as I know the 3 and 4 pinion planetary assemblies should be interchangeable between the R9 and R9-A overdrives. The mating sun gear and ring gear are the same for either unit. As long as the depth of the cage assembly is the same it should work.
The main difference between the two other than the number of planetary pinions is in the freewheel cam unit. The R9_A has longer rollers.

Some of the parts that are different and referred to by the Group number in the parts book illustration:

3.282 Freewheel Cam Assy. and associated components
3.274 Clutch Hub
3.294 Main Shaft (Rear) which has a deeper recess to accommodate the longer rollers

Posted on: 2015/8/11 1:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I was hoping Brian would show up to help a fellow Canadian.
I"m on board with Brian - best to go with the 4 pinion unit.
Speculation on the failure of a 3 pinion unit behind a 356 is unnecessary.
Let's move forward - what else is required to get this Packard back on the road?
Maybe the ring gear and which bearings/seals do you need?

DAF

Posted on: 2015/8/11 8:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
And Howard...just what recollection do you have putting a 3 gear in an R9A?

David, it has been over 30 years but I don't recall any issues with things fitting. I was installing parts from the R9 case into the R9A so if there is a case difference, unlike Dell's experience, I was apparently going in the right direction.

I do remember changing another part or two along with the planetary but don't remember if it was because I had to or because the other parts looked to be in better condition than what I had. All I know is the OD was functional after doing the work.

I drove the car for a few months but not extensively before it became involved in one of my back and forth trades with Doug. Didn't really have it long enough to directly know longevity but another acquaintance bought the car from Doug & drove it for about a year. AFAIK he didn't mention any OD problems when he sold it.

Posted on: 2015/8/11 9:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Philip
See User information
The overdrive I have is a R9-1 and it would seem it is original to the car unless it was installed after it was purchased. The cars serial# is 21513270. The part#'s I have found are. Pinion and cage assembly 1)338514 2)347576 Thrust washers front 362821 and rear 347607. The picture I have included shows all the parts and there condition. As you can see the needle bearings are destroyed and the shaft is worn out. From the picture from flackmaster they do look the same but will the four gear set work? I suppose the other explanation is it had a previous repair where someone installed a 3 gear set instead of the correct 4 gear set assuming they are interchangeable.

Attach file:

jpg  (99.41 KB)
4075_55cbb4fabe7e3.jpg 1280X956 px

jpg  (119.13 KB)
4075_55cbb5406cd82.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2015/8/12 16:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is there a definitive answer as to all the differences between an R9, R9-1 and R9A-1?

We know the R9A-1 has 4 pinions and the R9 has 3 but what about the R9-1. I seem to recall a post that the -1 without the A is also an indication of the heavy duty 4 pinion OD.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 17:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Philip
See User information
Well I suspect that if I bought the four pinion set and it would not fit, all I would have to do would be to replace the worn parts on mine with the good parts from the four pinion set. I can't see why the needle bearings and the shafts would be different.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 6:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Packard 1947 wrote:
Well I suspect that if I bought the four pinion set and it would not fit, all I would have to do would be to replace the worn parts on mine with the good parts from the four pinion set. I can't see why the needle bearings and the shafts would be different.

They probably are the same but the shafts are held in place by small pins that are covered by the crimped on oil shield. Easy enough to remove the shield but not so easy to replace it.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 11:44
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Philip
See User information
If I can get a list of parts and there prices I will purchase all the parts I need.

Thanks

Philip

Posted on: 2015/8/14 16:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved