Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 168

moodydavid16, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clutch Chatter
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
Is there anything which can be done to lessen clutch chatter? The car is a '38 Super 8 and at 88,000 miles it's a good bet that the clutch disk ought to be replaced, but it's too big of a job for me to do alone. Just wondering if there's anything I can do to calm things down a bit.

If there is anyone in the Albany NY area who could do it, I'd appreciate the reference.

--Scott

Posted on: 2015/10/20 10:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch Chatter
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Does it continue to chatter after it has been driven several miles and thoroughly warmed up? Mine chatters when its first started, then is very smooth once the car has been run for 30 minutes or so.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 10:40
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How about the snubber and motor mounts. Packard introduced the snubber assy on 38 juniors to help control chatter and then made it available and even retroactive to other models. At that time, along with the clutch disc, deteriorated motor mounts was one of the items listed as causing chatter and needed to be checked or renewed if there was a complaint. The snubber was added to help control the fore/aft motion of the motor/trans assy in the mounts.

The early snubber was just a two piece bar joined by some rubber. Either the rubber deteriorated and separated or the bar broke. Packard changed the design and made them a bit stronger and used that design until sometime in the 21st series.

I'd check motor mounts and If your car has a snubber perhaps it has broken or the rubber has deteriorated. If you don't have one, maybe adding it could help the problem. IIRC, flackmaster repro'd the later design and strengthened it even more. Not sure if he did the mounting brackets.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 11:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I live in Saratoga and would be happy to help you with the clutch job, if needed. Send me a PM if you need a hand.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 16:16
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
You want to fix that problem because it will severely damage the drivetrain.

The most common cause of such problems on Packards are incorrect disc material and improper installation.

A while back there was a Ford truck clutch that fit the Packard. It didn't work and shuddered like crazy.

If a transmission jack is not used to install the transmission it can bend the Marcel and cause shudder.

A pilot tool should be used to ensure proper alignment and prevent a misaligned transmission to bell housing.

The last off the shelf clutch I installed in a flathead Ford was lousy. So I would send the parts to Fort Wayne Brake and Clutch in Indiana. Another outfit that is highly recommended is Custom Clutch in Cleveland.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 17:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Speaking of Fords, I made up a pair of chatter rods to go on my 1948 Super DeLuxe Coupe a few years (decades) ago. The car did not have them and there was some chatter. I made them with some steel rod which I threaded then secured with nuts, washers, and rubber grommets or biscuits. rods went between engine bell housing and frame cross member IIRC. They worked fine, and cured the problem.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved