Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Gearbox 700R4 in Clipper 5647
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
As my 2265-9 is getting finished I start to plan for the 5647. As our car club has all our meetings up on mountain roads I don't dare to take my 5647 to them. I experienced a loss of brakes due to overheating taking it for a test drive a couple of years ago. It's been on a lift in my garage since then :(
I seriously thinking of swapping the Ultramatic for a 700R4 with a Bentsen adaptor to get the possibility to use engine brake and also better miles/gallon (0,7 to 1 ratio in 4th).

Any opinions/experiences on this?

/Jan in Spain

Posted on: 2016/3/13 5:22
1949 Packard 2265-9 Deluxe Eight Club Sedan
1956 Packard 5647 Clipper Super Hardtop Coupe
1953 Packard 2679 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Gearbox 700R4 in Clipper 5647
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Twin Ultramatic does provide engine compression braking in all forward ranges while the direct drive clutch is engaged.

I'm in sympathy with your concerns about the brakes in exceptionally hilly conditions with long or very steep descents, I had a couple of scary moments in my '56 Caribbean some years back in such country. Since then when driving in such conditions I make use of more engine compression by using "L" more regularly and I haven't had a repeat of that scare since I've changed my driving habits.

Posted on: 2016/3/13 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Agree that the Ultramatic does just fine as regards engine braking. Your 5647 probably already has a 3.07 rear axle. With .7 overdrive, that will give you a nearly useless 2.15 final drive suitable only for high speeds on the flattest of roads.

Also agree that the 56 Juniors brakes are not powerful--but I have survived quite well in hilly country for 40,000 miles by using low on any long descents. Measure your drums and make sure they are still near standard diameter and have not been machined thin. With drums, the more mass the better off you are as the mass absorbs the heat until it can be dissipated to the air.

Posted on: 2016/3/13 10:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
Thanks but as it is so many issues with the Ultramatic and nobody here in Spain who knows how to work on them it has to go. I did put it in L but braking was not enough. Sometimes we have downhill for 20-25 min on narrow and bendy roads so I need to have good brake from the engine. Last year an Aston Martin from 2006 got mushy brakes going down that special mountain. I also lost the brakes on my Mustang some years ago at that place. The problem with the Mustang was that you could not lock it in 2nd gear and 1st was too slow.
As for the gear ratio I do need better transport speed as I sometimes need to go 1,5 - 2 hours on the highway (max speed 75 mph) just to get to the meeting point in the morning.
I noticed that I put this post in the wrong group.. it should have been in V8 (55-56) ... sorry.. Can it be moved?
/Jan in Spain

Posted on: 2016/3/14 11:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hopefully you also have an electric fuel pump to try and prevent the vapor lock situation. As one who can speak from experience, if the engine quits while you are going up or down the mountain and there is no vacuum for the Bendix Treadlvac power brakes you will have an experience and a half before you get the car to stop.

With the 1:1 pedal ratio and no power assist the only brakes you have is the strength of your leg. Going forward and trying to stop with no power is bad enough but if you start rolling backward and try to stop you might as well aim for the mountain side or nearest solid object and let the car back into it for all the good the brakes will be.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 12:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Topic transported to V8 forum

:)

Posted on: 2016/3/14 12:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
Thanks Howard. Will sure have a look at it when I do the work on the car. Seems like an experience that I don't need.

Thanks BigKev.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 12:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Personally, I have no issues with the Ultramatics and they last well over 100k WHEN driven properly. The issues I fine is most do not understand the ultramatic and think it should preform as a Hydromatic and the issues are usually Operator induced.

I took a ride last week with an elderly gentleman in a beautiful Packard Pacific whom felt he was having trans issues. I sat quietly as I watch him romp the throttle, manually shift, and when trying to "kick down", manually shifting again.

Then I had him drive it my way, Put the car in drive and steadily accelerate. Ultramatic shifted, I said let me know when you get to 35mph, I said ok get ready at about 40 and about now, the car shifted to direct lock up and down the road we went. He was quite pleased on the steady pick up. then came the question, It doesnt kick down. I said, and it wont!! it is not a Hydromatic. some more discussion and he is now happy.

Ultramatics are not a hot rod responsive driveline. but are solid when drove as designed.

I am actually removing a a 700R4 and putting the original Ultramatic back into a car for a guy.

My two cents others will have other input.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 19:35
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
TroyT. If I lived in the States, I would have kept the Ultramatic. But here it would be too difficult without anyone knowing how to repair and service it (and it does need a full service at the moment). The 700R4 is a common gearbox even here so I will have no problems with that.

/Jan

Posted on: 2016/3/15 11:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I opted to have the TU in my 55 Clipper removed and replaced with a manual trans. This because there was no one in the immediate area who was skilled and knowledgeable about the Packard Ultramatics. The conversion was probably cheaper than going to a GM or Chrysler auto trans. The problem is getting all the parts and pieces to do the conversion properly. Luckily, Ross found a donor Clipper which provided him with all necessary items. It was all Packard and stock appearing.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/3/15 16:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved