Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 244

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Is there a way to increase height in a 1956 Torsion bar suspension?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks for all the tips and tire measurements. I will have to order a set in 235/75/15.

On the adjustable bars, I guess I am just too dumb as I can't find any grooves or rings, or how to adjust them. Here is a pic, in case somebody can tell me if I have the correct part there or if perhaps it was changed.

Thanks for all the help,
victor

Attach file:

jpg  (87.18 KB)
1141_493722ddec1f9.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2008/12/3 19:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Victor,

Before I sandblasted, repainted and rebuilt my front suspension, I doubt I could have found them either. Lots of dirt accumulates in the lower suspension. Below is a picture of mine so you can see the area where the rings are located.

Regards,
Robert.

Attach file:

jpg  (86.69 KB)
251_49372589008da.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/12/3 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2008/12/3 22:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Victor -

The OE links are not adjustable, in and of themselves, but were supplied in five incremental lengths by Packard - IDed by the presence of 0-4 grooves.

Good used ones are readily available from many vendors who have parted out cars, but there is a difference in the grind between '55 and '56. The '55's also had, originally, a washer between the shaft and the bearing at each end, which backed up a foam seal to contain special grease (same as what was used in the compensator planetery gear set). The new grind for '56 eliminated the need for grease, and the related seals and washers were omitted.

I've never seen a real need for the threaded links except to correct a minor variation in side-to-side riding height (something "in between" what the OE links allow for). I have my doubts as to how much of a usable increase you can get in the riding height with those "aftermarket" threaded links.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 10:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Still puzzled... There are no grooves or rings at all in the bar. Would that mean they have been changed?

Would those adjustable bars on the Packard library site (thanks for the link!) solve my problem? I also intend to change tires.

I moved around the dual nut adjustment to have the arm centered closer to the not working hard position. The change was that the car now sits higher in the rear, lower at the front.

By the way, I already registered my car in the database and added a pic. As for the numbers requested, my car is serial 5687-3661
Number in the driver's door, stamped, is 5687 3661
Number in the firewall is 006884

The pic below is from the day I bought it. I would probably not seem too bad, but it did sratch it's chassis in a few places. now, with the 235/70 tires, it's much worse.

Thanks,
Victor

Attach file:

jpg  (140.36 KB)
1141_4937f91c4c29a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/12/4 10:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As BH stated above, The front load arm links can have either ZERO ,1,2,3 or 4 rings. If yours has NO rings then it is the shortest of load arm links. 4our rings is the longest.

I assume u cleaned the load arm links real good for inspection. IT IS POSSIBLE to have different load arm links from side-to-side so u have to check the lload arm links on BOTH sides of the car.

I've never used the adjustable links. My car needs to set higher too but i have not yet gotten around to that problem yet. I don't know how much the adjustables will raise the car. U'll have compare specs for the adjustables to the specs for the production load links.

Get the car setting level and measure from the bottom center of the rocker panel to the floor or the garage. I believe production was 10". Someone correct me on the 10" if i am wrong.

On a different note: what is the paint and trim code stamped on the metal tag near the VIN????? I ask this because u said in your 1st post that the car is pink but it appears red to me in the picture u posted.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 11:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the VN and thief-proof #, I've added it to my database. As to the load arm pins in front, just remember that if you use adjustable ones or make your own longer ones (perhaps what's already happened), you can reach a point where the geometry prevents the pins and seats from proper alignment.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 11:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen raises an excellent point about getting the load arm links TOO long. But then again, that begs the question as to what is the longest length that is safe to use???? I'm not sure we can assume that the 4 ring production load link is the limit.

Somewhere here on this forum someone (i believe it was BH) posted the lengths for the load links.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 11:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Victor wrote:........By the way, I already registered my car in the database and added a pic.........The pic below is from the day I bought it.........

Victor for including your 400 in the Registry. Looks nice in the pic, could you add that or another pic to your Registry entry?

Posted on: 2008/12/4 13:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1-groove link is 3-1/8
2-groove link is 3-5/8
3-groove link is 4-1/8
4-groove link is 4-5/8.

According to 55T-1, changing a link one size will raise or lower the car about 3/8 inch.

Looking at the picture (#15), the height of this car looks pretty typical, rear is correct (skirt bisects the hub shell center) and perhaps just a bit low in front, but certainly not far removed from what we typically see. Packard states in 55T-1 that the floor to door sill dimension should be about 10 inches.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 13:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved