Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Back to PI.com...Big Kev's move & also my bucket list dream... possible?
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Been away for a few years since selling the stick shift '56 Clipper Deluxe and many years since the '56 Pat, now having some posting problems, has the protocol changed?...

OK, seems to work OK now... maybe post took too long and I got kicked off? Will submit and add on by editing.

Nice to see many familiar folks are still here.
And BigKev has moved to Kold Kountry! ... wow! Big change, hope you are adapting Kevin!

Closing in on 70 maybe it's time to get some of the 'bucket list" stuff done. For me one biggie is to own the Packard I'd have made if it were up to me. That would be a '55 Clipper (slightly smaller), with the drive-train of my preference: a Packard Six with the refined/reliable '53-54 UltraMatic.
My questions:

1. would the Six mate with that vintage of Ultramatic?

2. would it fit in the chassis/body without major modifications? Pedal assembly, linkages, much to figure out in any event.

Finding the right body and drivetrain components might be a challenge as well, but demand seems fairly slight compared to many 50s cars, so maybe not too difficult?

Constructive comments & opinions?
best to all from Roger in NY
PS: my former stick shift Deluxe:

Attach file:

jpg  (17.95 KB)
2116_58927bac6a8d1.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2017/2/1 13:33
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print 

Re: Back to PI.com...Big Kev's move & also my bucket list dream... possible?
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
How about a '55 Clipper 3 on the tree with a fresh 352?
Welcome back!

Attach file:

jpg  (373.44 KB)
15023_58928cbd8f6d7.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/2/1 20:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Thanks! What a beauty! Be a shame to yank that fresh 352 for a lowly 6 though... I must be crazy to want to do that! lol I think I've never got over my '37 Dodge.

Posted on: 2017/2/1 20:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is quite a challenge and it will be interesting to hear what others think.

The 50 to 54 engine part of the Ultra bellhousing is a separate assy and I believe all the regular Ultras will bolt but I don't know if the bellhousing would bolt to the six block. If it does, the other question is if the flex plate would bolt to the crankshaft. The other big one is the throttle linkage. That is so super critical on the Ultra that getting the geometry correct would be a must or the Ultra would have a short life.

Obviously there would need to be new mounts for engine and trans fabricated but comparatively, that should be the easier part of the swap. If the six engine is much longer than the V8 there could be some fit issues in the 55-6 engine compt.

Posted on: 2017/2/1 21:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"If the six engine is much longer than the V8 there could be some fit issues in the 55-6 engine compt."

Howard,

From what I understand, and that isn't much, weren't the V8 bodied cars a rework of the 51-54 straight 8's? Unless the V8's lost a lot of length in the engine compartment area the 6 might work with the usual challenges of sump clearance, fabricating new engine mounts and relocation of the radiator.

Posted on: 2017/2/1 22:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The bodies were a remake but they moved the V8 radiator back so fender and side splasher mounts to the cradle are several inches closer to the engine. A wide splasher which mounts to the cradle and also holds the hood latch takes up the extra space in front. To move the radiator would be kind of a project but I suppose nothing that couldn't be overcome.

Posted on: 2017/2/1 23:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Roger

Welcome back! Checking off your specifications, you prefer the '55 Clipper styling but would rather have the less trouble-prone L-head engine and perfected Ultramatic before the Gear Start transmission came into use. Just a hunch, but I'd surmise a '55 Clipper running a 245 ci Six with Ultramatic would be a real slug to drive.

How about this approach: buy a good '54 Clipper Special, 288 ci straight eight with Ultramatic then swap '55 Clipper front fenders, hood, grille, the works to give it a '55 styling look. Heck, you could even add the reverse lights below the 'sore-thumb' taillights and give it the '55 two-tone paint pattern to complete the look. You'll only have to forego the wrapped windshield, easier on the knee cap anyway. Maybe Ross can line you up a car and parts to make it what you want.

Good luck and again, welcome back!

Steve

Posted on: 2017/2/2 8:32
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Thanks for the kind welcome back folks!
I've always felt this forum to have by far the most gentlemanly (is that even a word?) demeanor of the many car groups I have patronized, most appropriate and quite in the true Packard mold, and a great incentive to once again be a Man That Owns One!

Intriguing idea Steve, would the front clip of a 55 or 56 bolt up seamlessly to the 54 chassis? I must say, though, that one of the things I really enjoy about the 55/6 cars is their wonderful jewel-like dashboard, something that Packard obviously gave a lot of thought to. The dash has always been a high priority for me as one spends a lot of time looking at it!

The wonderful Torsion-Level also has a great appeal. Probably be easiest to convert just the engine & trans. And am a big fan of the simple rugged and torquey 245 Six engine, just hoping the shorter (than straight 8) Big Six will fit the V8 space, certainly the 288/327/359 would be way too long. No idea if the Six will fit or can even be adapted to the Ultra, but hoping Ross M. or ? will know... I know Ross has in the past done some fairly innovative Packard modifications and adaptations.

There were 6's in 47 Clippers as cabs, and weighed only 150 lbs less than a 55/6 Clipper, so guessing it'd be fairly satisfactory power-wise, and I mainly potter around locally at below 50mph anyway. Automatic, though, is a must because my creaky knees and legs are no longer up to clutching, a chief reason we reluctantly let our lovely turquoise Clip go, luckily to a v good home.

Have located an apparently solid and worthy donor/project car, but will hold off on details if & until it appears to be a feasible and workable solution. Yet another Clipper Deluxe!

Posted on: 2017/2/2 15:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I always thought the six looked rather underpowered on paper anyway. I never drove one, so can't say how they were in real life. With only 105 hp and 190 lb/ft of torque seems low. I would think you might need to switch to a lower ratio rear axle for power to get off the line. maybe something like a 3.90 from a stand transmission car??

John

Posted on: 2017/2/2 20:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Agreed, it'd be much about having proper gearing, however it might not need radical change, as mentioned am a rather sedate driver... it'd likely never go over 50 or on a highway, we prefer slow pottering around on local side roads in our village and out in the beautiful countryside, and it's only 2 miles from our house out to the "sticks".

We don't do shows or old car meets, we just like to have fun driving around in the cars of our youth (which was a long time ago!) Even our daily driver is an old '79 Electra.

Attach file:

jpg  (57.51 KB)
2116_589497e7933be.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2017/2/3 9:42
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved