Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 70

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Converting BTV to manual brakes...
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Have always preferred the directness and more subtle modulation and control afforded by good manual brakes. My 1st car, a '63 Ford wagon, had manual brakes, as did my '70 Fury III convertible; since driving those cars back then I've preferred manual.

What would be involved in converting a 55/56 Clipper with BTV to a manual brake system, has anyone done this? It would on the surface appear to be be easier than converting the flawed, to my mind, BTV (and I have the same bloody thing on my '58 Olds Super 88 as well) to another type of power brake system, and I prefer manual anyway. Dual master cylinder would also be desirable. Comments, gentlemen? (and ladies, if there are any here).

Posted on: 2017/2/5 18:57
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Re: Converting BTV to manual brakes...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The simplest approach is to just install the factory manual brake system. No conversion in the usual sense of the word required if you can find the factory components.

Posted on: 2017/2/5 19:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
With Kanters cleaning out the warehouse, might be best to approach them now before any manual systems are scrapped?

Or another source might be Ross, who is currently in Kenya, but on his return would probably have the parts required.

Posted on: 2017/2/5 19:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If Ross or one of the others can't help with a 55-6 manual setup from a parts car it should be possible to adapt a universal street rod manual brake pedal assy. Some bolt to the frame and others weld. Depending on the construction of the street rod setup, one thing that might have to be worked around is the torsion bar. With some small mods it could be made to look almost stock inside the car.

A complete 51-4 parts car assy is probably more plentiful but I don't know what all is involved in changes or if anyone has adapted the setup to a 55-6. The master cylinder is mounted on the L frame rail forward of the pedal assy in 51-4. Because of the torsion bar it is locarted more in the center of the car and to the rear of the pedal assy in 55-6. That would require a change of geometry and mounting position for the actuating rod if trying to adapt the earlier unit.

The dual master should be doable with either setup. Several have done it by making a small L shaped adapter plate to bolt into the single cylinder bolt holes and have the dual cylinder mount to the adapter.

Posted on: 2017/2/5 19:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Great advice all around, many thanks gents.

Being I'd like to keep it as stock as possible I suppose I'd opt for the original parts as used then to the extent possible. Being Kanter's is cleaning house, it might be wise to check with them, I presume.

Has anyone around here done a power-to-manual conversion?
So many folks have never driven a post early-50s big car with well set-up manual brakes, I suspect that if they had they might prefer them. Done properly they should stop every bit as well as power, with better finesse and control, imo.

Posted on: 2017/2/6 10:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Randerson, I had Ross convert the BTV system on my 55 Super Clipper to a non-boosted manual brake system. He used the pedal assembly and master cylinder from a 51-54 Packard. The brakes worked quite well and there was good pedal mondulation. I would think there would be enough Packards from these years with parts that you could use in a conversion. Of course you will want to rebuild the master cylinder. Like you, I wanted to avoid any problems with the BTV. He did this work while converting the TU to a manual shift transmission. Another problem avoidance change.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/2/6 11:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I converted mine to manual brakes for future savings on repairs. Ross sent me a sketch on how to install the parts I purchased from him. There is no problem in removing and attaching the manual linkage,master cylinder and pedal. I have been using them for 3 years with no problem. Just some of the great information and people on this site. I could not have got my 1954 Packard Clipper road worthy without the help of all these great people and site.

Posted on: 2017/2/6 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Good info, more and more I think converting to manual makes a great deal of sense. I may get rid of BTV on my '58 Olds as well.

Posted on: 2017/2/7 15:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved