Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 164

Stewart Ballard, CartRich, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Anyone know how to repair motor mounts on 1955 clipper custom 352
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

55clippercustom
See User information
I kinda like Packardv8's idea,I don't think it would be to hard to take a used late model set and adapt them for the Packard,If this doesn't work out or is more trouble than it's worth I'll just go with the repros @ Kanters!!!! Thanks to all for the input!!!!

Posted on: 2009/1/14 14:06
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hammy56J
See User information
I have converted a set of Chev mounts for my '56 Golden Hawk. It involved a recessed spacer plate at the bottom, Packard is four bolt and Chev is three bolt. It raised the engine 3/8th of an inch. I used the Chev because it has an interlock system that prevents the engine from coming off the mount if the rubber fails.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 10:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Regarding Chuck's comment and not that I'm pushing Kanter's mounts, but they are not NOS and haven't have been sitting on the shelf a long time, they are newly manufactured. And not that, if both mounts have delaminated, the engine can't lift on one side on hard acceleration, but they don't really need an interlock, the engine can't drop off the mount unless you had a series of other catastrophic failures.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Are Hawk mounts the same as Packard mounts???????

Since the original mounts probabaly squeezed down a little over time i'm guessing that the 3/8 rise u mention is probably only a 1/4 inch. Of course the rear mount would collapse a bit too but alot less weight there.

Sounds like a great retro-fit. I'll try it on my Exec real soon. They're hard as a rock. I'll have to buy the Chev mounts. Don't have any on the shelf. Just for clarity do u remeber what chev mounts u used??? Year, engine, car or anything like that????

Posted on: 2009/2/2 13:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
is this it????
http://www.autozone.com/R,2722923/vehicleId,1403902/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,77/partType,00154/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

Posted on: 2009/2/2 14:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hammy56J
See User information
I have attempted to post some photos of the mount conversion. If they don't come through anyone with questions can email me at wayneh@mountaincable.net

Attach file:

jpg  (31.87 KB)
622_498a1322cc35f.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (31.35 KB)
622_498a135b8e0f8.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (20.62 KB)
622_498a139e7bc08.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (48.33 KB)
622_498a13d3a2901.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2009/2/4 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Slick set up hammy.

Looking at the last pic:

Suppose the bracket bolted to the frame were just eleminated for a minute. Then just set the engine down so that hte saddle of the chev mount rides over the frame horn. Then drill the side of the frame horn for a bolt and weld in only the tube from the bracket that was left off. No???

Posted on: 2009/2/4 22:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
hammy56J wrote: I have converted a set of Chev mounts for my '56 Golden Hawk.........

G'day Wayne,
Like to add my too. And I invite you to add your '56 Golden Hawk to the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it.

Posted on: 2009/2/5 2:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hammy56J
See User information
The two pieces on the left in the first photo are bolted to the motor mounts off the Studebaker frame, that is what is shown in the last photo. The 7/16th bolt is back welded to the small plate to duplicate the bolt arrangement of the original Packard mount. The long bolt is removed from the 3/8" pipe and the engine lowered over the pipe and then the bolt installed to mount the engine to the frame. I don't know what the Packard frame mount looks like but this arrangement has the same center lines as the Packard mount. It is 1/4" to 3/8" taller(thicker) than the old mount.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 13:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2009/7/8 17:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved