Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 69

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Water Pump Mounting Bolts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
Hey guys......i am getting ready to install the new water pump. I got all 4 of the bolts cleaned up and noticed that 2 of the bolts are a bit smaller than the other 2 and and have a thin copper washer on them with no lock washer, the other 2 have a lock washer .......is this normal/original???? if so why are there copper washers and not locks????. And if there special, then what locations are they in?

Posted on: 2018/9/1 18:06

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Water Pump Mounting Bolts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Pat, I just did this a few weeks ago and mine was the same. I have been racking my brain trying to remember which ones went where. I had the same question and I believe if you set the pump and bolts all out, and check the pump body thickness, it will be obvious where the long ones have to go. Somebody smarter than me on here will likely come on and tell you what the copper washer business is for, but as long as you have the threads all grabbing with the same amount of length, you'll be okay. Not sure which engine you are dealing with but on mine, I had to undo the front motor mount and jack the engine up a little to clear the 'overhang' on the mount gasket as it tended to get under the waterpump gasket and then would not seal. Yours may or may not be like that, but worth a look. Last thing you want is to get it all back together and have that fateful drip!!!!

Posted on: 2018/9/1 19:52
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Copper washers are sealing washers, ie being relatively soft they crush when tightened and conform to the surfaces against which they sit. Used on bolts which may enter the water jacket and best to use fresh washers as used washers have already deformed and may not seal well.

Posted on: 2018/9/1 20:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
You should be able to see 2 of the bolt holes in the body casting that have a slightly recessed machined surface that provides a seat for the copper washers. One is just below the hose connection and the other is at the lowest bolt hole.

Posted on: 2018/9/2 1:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
My luck on using the preused soft copper sealing washer has been BAD. Suggest u use new

https://www.mcmaster.com/#washers/=1ef9rlu

I appreciate the ones with the bonded BunaN oring

Posted on: 2018/9/2 8:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Wow thanks for all your input this site is awesome....... Now being the impatient person that I am I have removed the copper washers, they where pretty hammered anyway but now I'm looking for replacement washers...... I'm pretty sure the vendors have them....... But...... It takes a week to get anything lol will any copper washer work?

Posted on: 2018/9/2 8:57

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Typ Copper Washers u find around ur town r not made for sealing.

Everything is as close as ur computer and the UPS Truck.

Posted on: 2018/9/2 9:42
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dwight Lehnhoff
See User information
Crush washers are also used on brake line fittings. Not as easy to find. O'Reilleys has a multisize packet with 2 of each size. I work at ACE and had to order them through Ebay as my nuts and bolts vendor didn't carry them.

Posted on: 2018/9/2 11:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I found some copper washers in my parts drawers. They are thicker then the ones i took off the bolt. The washer has a tight fit on the shank of the bolt, is the thickness a big deal????????

Posted on: 2018/9/2 11:57

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved