Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 220

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: Proud New Owner of a 49 Packard Club Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are you sure it's actually overheating and it's just not gauge/sensor?

If the gauge was all the way over, I would expect it to be puking coolant. You can get one of those IR thermos from HF pretty cheaply and check the temp at the front and rear of the head. If it significantly hotter at the rear, that would point to a clogged distro tube.

Posted on: 2018/9/5 11:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

50 2382
See User information
Great suggestion!

Posted on: 2018/9/5 12:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
I have the gun, and was going to do precisely that, but the darn battery is dead again. Gotta wait till it charges. Again.

Posted on: 2018/9/5 12:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am thinking at some point the car had an oil filter and it was removed. The pigtail supplying the lifter gallery is on the right side of the sender and I would almost expect there to be a 4 port fitting behind the sender. If so perhaps when removing the filter they did not have a way to plug the 4th port so just bent and crimped or maybe soldered closed a short stub of tubing as a way to provide something to fill the port. Perhaps a remnant of tubing is what you are seeing under the sender.

With the pigtail feeding the lifter gallery, if it did have a filter it would have drained into the crankcase as if the engine had hydraulic lifters. Those could have been optioned and the motor number may indicate the option. You might also check to see if there are any signs of disturbance around the area where I believe the filter return port is placed on that engine -- perhaps another piece of closed tubing or an unpainted plug in the area circled in the second photo that was borrowed from Big Kev's blog.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.58 KB)
209_5b901339dd5b7.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (70.22 KB)
209_5b90134f44729.jpg 768X576 px

Posted on: 2018/9/5 12:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
re; gas pedal. Take it off and look for indication of origin.
If none, post picture for ID/compare to OEM. I don't remember any big rubber ones just those "barefoot" chrome ones from the 60-70s. But who knows what POs did to personalize their cars. Mine came with fuzzy dice. Could've have some sort of disability, large shoe size, or preference. This is well before advent of electrically adjustable gas pedals.
I don't recall seeing any optional foot pedals in the parts list. But you can look there as well.

ps: I know of documented studies(sae) of engine wear that apportion ~80% of engine wear to start up friction before oil flow but none for Packard engines.

Posted on: 2018/9/5 14:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Welcome! Glad to see another Packard has found an appreciative owner. You've already discovered what a wealth of knowledge and help is available here. The search function and project blogs can provide immediate answers too as many have grappled with the same problems.

Please start a project blog in that section, it makes it easier to post your questions and find the answers later. Its also useful to show your progress which we all like to see.

If you haven't yet, buy a copy of Packard 1948-1950 by Robert J. Neal which is available through the Packard Club website. Its an in-depth history on your series, absolutely worthwhile reading and a great reference.

I'd also suggest you join the Packard Club (PAC) and the region in your area. It will open up great access to fellow Packard enthusiasts and a group of really nice people.

Again welcome, please keep us apprised of your progress with your new '49 club sedan.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/9/5 14:20
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure what is considered big but compared to todays pedals I guess the 50 pedal could be considered large. The pedals were pretty much the same from at least 40-52 -- a black rubber ribbed affair roughly 2" wide by 9" tall. 53 on saw them emboss the Packard crest at the top 2" or so of the pedal instead of ribs. Kanter has repros of the all ribbed pedals.

There was an accessory cover with a built in heel cushion which made the pedal appear somewhat bigger. Believe that came along in 51 but maybe available earlier. At any rate, even if bought later it could have been installed on an earlier model.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.41 KB)
209_5b903109b4928.jpg 1426X309 px

jpg  (43.58 KB)
209_5b9031137c7ae.jpg 800X434 px

jpg  (26.86 KB)
209_5b90311c9f03e.jpg 508X446 px

Posted on: 2018/9/5 14:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
for including your '49 Eight Club Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

But.....I have a suspicion that, from the Vehicle Number of 2395523246 it could well be a '50! Reason being, if your number is actually 2395-5-23246 it's definitely a '50. Same thing happened to me, bought as a '49 but VN was 2392-5-42982 with car being sold late '49 and titled as a '49.

Posted on: 2018/9/5 15:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe D'Agostino
See User information
Ross,

That is a good input on the cranking of engine without oil to the rings. What do you think of the pre-lube systems that don't require the engine to crank over and bring up oil pressure before ignition?

Here is one example

http://www.masterlube.net/

Posted on: 2018/9/5 20:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
You ARE the GURU! its the optional pedal pad. Note-this thing is huge and if your brake pedal play is too great, stepping on the brake will also accelerate the car when your foot also hits the gas pedal. A heart stopping moment.

Posted on: 2018/9/6 6:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved