Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 211

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Gas in engine oil
Just popping in
Just popping in

Brad and Andrews 120
See User information
Need help!! I have a 1940 120, while changing the engine oil I noticed a strong gas smell. The car as been sitting for about 10 yrs and has only ran about once a month ( just engine) for that time.I just recently had time/ money to go through the car to get it road ready. I am new to older cars and don't want to guess what is wrong. Does anyone know of any tests I can do besides compression?

Posted on: 2018/9/29 12:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Gas in engine oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi 'Darn'

I am relatively new to old cars as well and there are surely much better informed folks than I on this site that will weigh in on this, but in my experience with these cars so far, old rubber seems to be a common denominator for being at the root cause of a lot of problems. And, being a 'rubber guy' all my working life, I can certainly attest to rubber having a definitive lifespan. I would be suspicious of the diaphragm in your fuel pump. I'm not positive, but if there were cracks/leaks there, could the fuel get into the engine via the pump orifice in the block?? The other thing I was having problems with was gas leaking from the carb. The carb guys said if the curb idle was set too high, it could leave the throttle cluster slightly open and gas could siphon down, either into the manifold or out of the carb leaving fuel ON the manifold. The latter makes a mess and is dangerous from an ignition source standpoint, the former could certainly have raw gas running by the rings. Just a couple of suggestions from a novice - like I say, the pros will have 'the' answers for you. Good luck, Chris.

Posted on: 2018/9/29 13:49
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Percentages very largely favor a failing rubber fuel pump diaphragm. And even if not, after sitting for 10 years a rebuild would be advisable.

Posted on: 2018/9/29 14:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Darn,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '40 120 in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/9/29 15:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Brad and Andrews 120
See User information
Thank you for your input. It is freshing to know there is support out there. After my son and I dropped the oil pan, he discovered the rear main leaking and flywheel damage. So we are pulling the engine and doing for rebuild. As anyone done this and if so , while engine out , is there other things I should consider doing...

Posted on: 2018/9/29 17:27
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Pull the water distro tube and clean it!

Posted on: 2018/9/29 18:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"while engine out, is there other things I should consider doing..."

Depends on how much you want to do/spend.

As Kev says - pull and clean out the water distribution tube.

If doing that you'll also need to get the block and head water passages properly cleaned out too. That should be done as part of a full engine rebuild process anyway. Include cleaning out the main oil gallery too, mine went through the hot tank but still had a build up of solidified gunk which had to be cleaned later, but better to do it first!

And, because the water passages in the block and head are now clean don't forget to do the radiator too.

Check and rebuild, where necessary, all the bolt on units besides the fuel pump, ie carb, starter, generator, distributor, water pump, oil pump. Have I missed anything?

Posted on: 2018/9/29 18:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps your engine does need a rebuild and if so, go for it. But I just wanted to point out, in case you thought otherwise, that servicing the flywheel does not require engine removal. It's not clear to me just what your son saw that he thought was a rear seal, but your engine does not have a traditional rear seal but instead uses a slinger. Servicing the slinger does not require engine removal either, usually it just requires cleaning sludge from the drain return hole.

Posted on: 2018/9/29 19:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"After my son and I dropped the oil pan, he discovered......flywheel damage".

What is damaged on the flywheel? If it's the facing for the clutch, depending how on "bad" it is might or might not require resurfacing. If it needs resurfacing the pressure plate and/or the clutch plate might also require refurbishing.

Posted on: 2018/9/29 20:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Couple of other things to look at... if your gas pedal linkage is as worn as mine was, dealing with it, with the engine out is definitely a lot easier than trying to get at it behind the head. Also, these cars have a steering, center-arm bushing that I am told is prone to failure due to it getting missed by the the 'grease-guy' over the years. There is a castellated nut on top of the front cross member and it is also very accessible with the engine out. (pic attached) Also a great time to do any cleaning and painting of the under-firewall and engine compartment areas missed, where non-engine-removal-painting has occurred.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.27 KB)
121627_5bb02dc31e379.jpg 636X480 px

Posted on: 2018/9/29 20:56
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved