Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 155

Marvin, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Packard 22nd Series 6 cylinder Touring Sedan 1948
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I think this is the Packard advertised in the most recent PAC News Bulletin with a B/W photo.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 8:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Yes, that's the one I was referring to. I was wracking my brain trying to remember where I'd seen a 6 cylinder 22nd series and then remembered the News Bulletin. I followed the link published there for additional photos and it's Turquoise Blue.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 9:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard 22nd Series 6 cylinder Export Touring Sedan 1948
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks for the welcome from everybody.

Bought the car - Friday 13th March 2009 - anybody thinking that that is mad I should say my Daughter was born on that day in 1970.

Good news engine starts/runs - clutch okay gears engage and she moves - no brakes as I said before.

Next step is to get a British Ministry of Transport Certificate which means basically that the car must be safe so brakes need to work (!!) lighting needs to work as do the wipers. Basically it's a Test to ensure that the car is safe on the road.

Although she has been in U.K since 1981 she has never been registered here but once the M.O.T Cert. is to hand an application to register can be made and hopefully an age related number can be allocated. In 1948 here in the U.K plates were 4 numbers followed by two letters OR 3 letters followed by 3 numbers in later years the system changed so you could tell the year of the car - you can't have the latter on a 1948 car.

Any ideas/tips about how or where to get the vacuum operated wiper motor reconditioned or a new one please let me know - also anybody think you can or has anybody done an electric motor replacement ? [font=Arial][size=large]

Now know car was in Southern Rhodesia in 1960's and semi- derilict after farmer owner had used it as a tractor until one day it stopped and was abandoned - new owner gave him a crate of beer for the car and proceeded to do a rebuild.

After Southern Rhodesia declared U.D.I there was takeover by the indigenous population leading to todays Zimbawe.

The owner moved/fled to S.Africa with his car and finally in the early 1980's moved to the U.K.since when the car has languished in garages and latterly under tarpauline sheets.

No pictures yet but will post when available.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2009/3/15 6:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
meaarch wrote: Thanks for the welcome from everybody........Bought the car - Friday 13th March 2009.........Best regards Michael

Michael,

Congratulations on your Packard purchase. Keep us updated as you progress with the '48. Regarding wiper issues, refer to this threadhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1967&forum=1 wherein I was offered advice to contact Ficken Wiper Service, www.wiperman.com. Although this didn't pan out for me I'd think your query would be easier. And that's a great story, be sure to include it in your Registry entry.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 6:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Ozstatman

Been to both your tips - they are about wiper blades - my trouble is the vacuum "motor" seems it probably has not been working for 30 years or so !!

I will have to be patient until I can get my hands on the handbooks/ parts books which are with the car

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2009/3/15 7:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There's a service article on lubricating wiper motors which might help but rebuild probably the best option.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=11583#forumpost11583

Several have recommended Ficken Wiper Servicehttp://www.wiperman.com/
for their rebuilds. They are currently doing mine, and have done several for other members of the forum so that would be one place. Don't know if there are any places closer to you though. There are some aftermarket electric motor conversions but I think they all require 12v.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 10:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Congratulations on getting a 'smart' looking car.
Don't know if you checked this or not, but make certain the vacuum lines coming from the fuel pump (or carb) going to the wiper motor are attached and not leaking. My wipers didn't work one rainy day, and it was only the rubber hose at the vac/fuel pump had come off.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 10:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Tobs and HH56 - I've printed your comments to pass on to the restorers later

Best regards
Michael

Posted on: 2009/3/15 19:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Michael,

for including your '48 in the Registry.

But...... I see you also have 2 separate entries in the Registry for 1956 both with scant information and both showing an interior pic of a car. Can one or both of these '56 entries be deleted if they are duplicates or surplus? BigKev should be able to fix them depending on your reply.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 20:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Ozstatman

Sorry but I DID have trouble putting my photos on the Registry - so what happened was they went separately to become the two '56s you refer to - what the two photos should do is be transfered to my 22nd Series slot as they are the door trim and the dashboard of my car and which I want to refer to other members for some info. on trim and seals etc.

Maybe seeing this BigKev will come to my rescue and put the photos with my car - for the moment I'll leave well alone and see if they get moved please

Michael

Posted on: 2009/3/18 14:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved