Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: Packard Decoder
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I didn't expect it was using the registry information as I said it was somewhat off-topic but it came to mind when I tried to list my coach with its proper model. I do not have a list of the various Henney-Packard models but if you do, it would be great if it can somehow be incorporated!

For the decoder, it seems to be a great and very useful tool that will save much time. The information has always been on the site but it took looking up bits here and pieces there to put it together so excellent job to make use of it this way.

Posted on: 2021/2/20 17:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Very nicely done!

Here's what I get when I input the SN from my "1950" Custom Eight Touring Sedan. The notation that the number is outside the production sequence number is correct but the number is valid. The car is a factory re-numbered 1949 that didn't sell. According to Robert Neal's book, the highest reported number for re-numbered 1949 23rd Series Customs was 5524. The original number on my car, from the build slip (when it was to be sold as a 1949 model) was 2697.

Attach file:

jpg  decoderresult.JPG (30.12 KB)
188_603339f9442d7.jpg 1258X208 px

Posted on: 2021/2/21 23:58
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That one is going to be a bit tricky as the renumbered ones break the production number schema logic. Is there a specific way from the VN to tell if it a renumbered car? If so, then I can add some logic to account for it.

Posted on: 2021/2/22 8:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Wouldn't the renumbered cars still be within the range for 1950 models that were not renumbered? I'm asking out of curiosity as a licensed VIN verifier.

Posted on: 2021/2/22 13:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If someone with a few more active brain cells than I have and knows how to devise and construct spreadsheets wanted to make a chart, Robert Neal in his 48-50 book has given info on the known cars by model that were renumbered and their approximate ranges.

With a few caveats due to missing records and Packard's apparent lack of clarity on the upper number used for the renumbered cars vs the announced total production of the model, it might be possible to maybe forget the production number total used now in the decoder and use the known lower renumbering range starting number as the trigger point to have a statement appear noting that anything over that known number indicates it could possibly be a renumbered car.

The 22nd series data starts on page 36-37 and the 23rd series data is page 86-87.

Posted on: 2021/2/22 15:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Bob Neal and I spent many hours going over our combined data with respect to the renumbered cars. IMO there are just too many unknowns and gaps in our knowledge to reduce our understanding of it to a firm set of rules.

Before his passing, Bob did write further on the subject and I believe those articles are scheduled for future publication in The Cormorant. But there is still a lot missing from our understanding.

Posted on: 2021/2/22 16:29
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'll see if I can figure out a solution, or at least a footnote about it.

I made some changes to the look of the decoder when getting back results. Check it out when you all get a moment.

Attach file:

jpg  ScreenShot 262.jpg (219.85 KB)
1_603436b0a7ac3.jpg 1638X2244 px

Posted on: 2021/2/22 17:55
-BigKev

Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Too cool BigKev. That is really a nice touch you came up with there.

One question though....I ran my serial (5467-2128) and it came back saying it has a 359 cu in engine with the 9-main bearings. I though the Panama had a 327? At least that's what it says on the model info page.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/2/22 18:40
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It should be a 327. Probably a data entry typo on my part. What are the first two digits of your Engine Serial?

Posted on: 2021/2/22 18:53
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It should be corrected now. Thanks for letting me know.

Posted on: 2021/2/22 19:03
-BigKev

Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved