Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
30 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 30

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1947 Packard clipper 2 door
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That may be true on these later cars but when I bought one of my 1940 110s, the previous owner had tried to put a 282 in it and found that the front of the engine rested where the radiator cradle was supposed to be.

Posted on: 2021/3/4 12:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Yes the Clipper bodies were all the same, they just had a longer wheelbase and longer hood, front fenders etc... on the 356 cars.

Posted on: 2021/3/4 13:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Wat's thinking, and assembling a pile of parts like a cook getting ready to create a new recipe.

Got a fair amount of experience, albeit quite dated, on the 22nd and 23rd series cars. Failing to see any whopping big differences in the chassis area, and seeing as hiw 2 varieties of 8 fit into the 120" w/b preggers cars, I think we're safe with an eight in the six chassis. There might even be a bolthole or two waiting for me.

Looking at the senior as more parts. I prefer the short wheelbase coupes. The long fronts on the coupe remind me of something phallic.

Posted on: 2021/3/4 21:10
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Home. Success. Bought the pair. They are scheduled to arrive Saturday morning.

And then the real work/fun begins . . . .

Posted on: 2021/3/21 20:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Wat_Tyler

Congratulations! Please show us what you've bought inside and out. The Clipper Six 2100 and Clipper Deluxe Eight 2111 both on the 120" wb are the same chassis, only the engine is different. The 282 ci eight is a wonderfully smooth, torquey engine that gives fine performance.

Since you've had experience with the 22nd and 23rd Series cars, you've no doubt noticed the 22nd Series 120" wb Super Eight is fitted with the 327 ci straight eight in the same space. That might be another option if more performance is sought.

Steve

Posted on: 2021/3/21 20:19
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Wat,

Congratulations, don't forget the Packard Owner's Registry!

Attach file:

jpg  Original pic ex Wikipedia, with apologies to Uncle Sam!.jpg (35.13 KB)
226_6057f23550ee6.jpg 451X512 px

Posted on: 2021/3/21 20:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

58L8134 wrote:
Hi Wat_Tyler

Congratulations! Please show us what you've bought inside and out. The Clipper Six 2100 and Clipper Deluxe Eight 2111 both on the 120" wb are the same chassis, only the engine is different. The 282 ci eight is a wonderfully smooth, torquey engine that gives fine performance.

Since you've had experience with the 22nd and 23rd Series cars, you've no doubt noticed the 22nd Series 120" wb Super Eight is fitted with the 327 ci straight eight in the same space. That might be another option if more performance is sought.

Steve

Thank you, sir. It would seem that you've been reading my mind. I bought a "327" that turned out to be a 288 (so says the head) upon delivery. :rolleyes: Nevertheless, I have run down another 327 and am trying to find the best (read: least expensive) way to get it here. Looks like a few road trips are in my future.

It'll all be a learning experience, so I'll be chatting with you guys as it goes along.

Posted on: 2021/3/22 4:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
G'day Wat,

Congratulations, don't forget the Packard Owner's Registry!

Yes, sir, I can do that.

And pictures, too, when they arrive. Seems it is a '47 (the good one) and a '42 (parts car). Hope they make it here right side up.

Posted on: 2021/3/22 4:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
don't go entirely by the casting on the head. The 288 and 327 heads interchange - the stroke causes the displacement difference. Check the engine number.

Posted on: 2021/3/22 9:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Maybe I'm remembering something incorrectly, but thought I remembered reading that the 288 head on a 327 block gave more compression? Maybe I have that backwards or totally wrong, but perhaps check engine number on your 288/327 before considering it a 288.

Posted on: 2021/3/22 9:16
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved