Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
28 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 28

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Non Packard transmission replacements
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I didn’t want to mess with other forums on this subject.

I came across this kit, made in the past.

How good was it?

Are there any running Packards that are still using this set up?

Attach file:

jpeg  69247A0F-5181-4113-A713-88872D057317.jpeg (340.81 KB)
1220_60cf5b4ab27cc.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  629FCD15-C3D6-4187-B67D-575598525D09.jpeg (354.56 KB)
1220_60cf5b607cb6b.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  D07D5BA2-675A-416F-91FA-05BE4924B67E.jpeg (207.01 KB)
1220_60cf5b73395a3.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  5F1A1DAD-1587-4944-907A-6CA02FB26DB3.jpeg (178.41 KB)
1220_60cf5b89571a1.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/6/20 10:15
 Top  Print 

Re: Non Packard transmission replacements
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Gibson kit was well-received in its time, it was as trouble-free as the Torqueflite unit itself was.

Posted on: 2021/6/20 11:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree with O_D. In the 70s and 80s it was installed in several cars owned by PI members and the kit was a good quality item. I was at a PI meet where a chassis with the trans installed was on display. Harold Gibson conducted several well attended and well received training sessions on the conversion.

I do not know if he mfg'd the kit himself or had it done elsewhere but as I understand it, when Harold died the mfg was taken over by others. For whatever reason it did not continue being as popular. Perhaps because the specific big V8 version late 60 early 70s Torque Flite transmissions were harder to come by and the conversion to GM units which were easier to find were being done more or perhaps the kit was not as complete or as good. I do remember some complaints of balance and vibration problems with the later conversions. Those issues could be kit or install related so hard to say exactly why it fell out of favor. I don't believe the Torque Flite kit is being mfg'd anymore.

The last car I can remember being discussed on this forum with the conversion was a Caribbean owned by Mathew in Australia. Don't remember if he had the conversion done or if the car had it when he bought it but maybe he or someone familiar with the car could give an update as to how it performs.

Posted on: 2021/6/20 11:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Although Mat has since sold his Caribbean, I've notified him of this thread.

Posted on: 2021/6/20 18:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
This is different to the kit i used. This is what I used to bolt a GM T700 up to it.

https://transmissionadapters.com/collections/packard/products/1955-1956-packard-352-400-v8-to-700r4

Posted on: 2021/6/20 18:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for clarifying which trans is in the car. I obviously was in error about what you had. I know there was someone with a V8 asking about a vibration issue with one of the TorqueFlite conversions around the same time you were having repairs done due to the brake failure. Must have confused it with your car.

Posted on: 2021/6/20 20:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Howard, you did have the right person, I did try the torqueflite conversion kit and I had nothing but trouble. My adapter from the crank shaft to the gearbox was out of alignment by 30thou, (I think it was)and it kept throwing the stator. I had rebuilt the box twice before this as I had had other issues with it.
In the end I went with the kit I mentioned above. The GM box was a much stronger box.

Posted on: 2021/6/21 1:54
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Was the kit above different that the kit offered by Sierra Grove Packards for the 727 conversions?

I know people reported that those kits either worked great or were horrible depending on alignment, as the kit didn't use eccentrics for the mounting plate, and therefore couldn't be adjusted to maintain concentric alignment.

Posted on: 2021/6/28 13:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

cortes121
See User information
As someone fairly ignorant on the various pros and cons of the available transmissions to swap in, could someone explain the appeal of the Tourqueflite as a substitute for the Ultramatic, so much so that a kit was designed for it?

Posted on: 2021/7/1 17:19
- Anthony

1955 Packard Clipper Custom
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe back in the 70s when the kit was designed Harold Gibson felt the TorqueFlite was one of the stronger transmissions fully capable of taking the torque of the V8 engines and more closely mimicked the Ultramatic in shift points. As I recall his presentation during one of the seminars, he also felt it was one of the easier to adapt and install because of overall size and something to do with the bellhousing or converter.

Posted on: 2021/7/1 18:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved