Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Bob Turnquist
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I just heard a few moments ago that Bob Turnquist has passed away after a recent hospitalization. Anyone involved in Packards should recognize his name, one of the first, if not the very first noteable Packard historian, Author of "The Packard Story", savior of tons of original Packard documents destined for destruction, gracious donator of Packard archives and financial support to all major Packard museums. Founder/owner of Hibernia Auto Restorations here in NJ, founding member of CCCA, and many more honors and associations. I'm sure his passing will be noted in all major hobby publications.

Posted on: 2009/4/4 14:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Bob Turnquist
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Dave,

The passing of an Icon, especially in regard to Packards, he will be missed.

Gerd,

Thanks for that snippet, I was very impressed by him and his comments. It helps humanise Bob Turnquist for those of us who have only known him through his noted book "The Packard Story".

Posted on: 2009/4/4 15:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Really?

I spoke to him last year. Years ago he was a family friend and when I was a school kid he gave me a study desk that was his when he was a kid. Later on we lost touch and didn't have contact for decades. It was actually comical because we would be in the same room and he didn't remember who I was and I didn't introduce myself because there wasn't any reason to. And nobody present knew how well I knew the Turnquists. So I heard all of this and that and even knew Bob's 1940's roommate in Brooklyn Heights. Well, that's the way rich people are. Except that I'm not rich and will say that as far as wealthy people go Bob was actually better than most.

Posted on: 2009/4/4 15:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I've read his book and knew he was a big influence. I also trusted Hibernia to mix the paint for my 400 and it is an extremely close match. He will be missed.

Posted on: 2009/4/4 16:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Good writer. I enjoyed his writings. I never talked to him, but have sold parts to Hibernia over the years. An Icon lost.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.50 KB)
633_49d7fa7a6b948.jpg 420X500 px

Posted on: 2009/4/4 19:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hello Gentlemen

Thanks for the notice of a major Packard icon passing. I never personally knew or spoke with Bob Turnquist, though I should have to express my appreciation for his book. I bought my copy in the mid-sixties, as a teenager spend hours pouring over it. It was the first really authoritative writing available on Classic era Packards. I still quote information he imparted when discussing Packards.
He did so much directly and indirectly for the preservation of an important part of American automotive history. For that good work, Bob, just like Beverly Rae Kimes and Henry Austin Clark Jr. will always be remembered.

RIP Bob, you did good!

Steve

Posted on: 2009/4/5 8:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, Sad news, thanks for sharing. Is there any wat to prevent all the material he collected from being destroyed? Surely, there must be a way go keep the collection intact.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 11:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, I don't believe we need have concern about Bob's archives, he's been busy the last several years finding suitable places for his Packard documents, etc. You might go visit the Packard proving grounds website (packardmotorfdn.org), some of his material will go there. And while there, consider making a donation to a very worthy cause. I believe the CCCA has also been a beneficiary of some of his material, with no doubt more to come. We should all be very pleased that Bob saw to attend to all this well in advance.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, this is reassuring. I have donated to the proving grounds. My brothers and I bought an Elm tree in my father's memory, and I have individually contributed.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 11:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have all the conditions Ford originally presented been met for permanent ownership or long term lease or are there still some down the road problems that may come to light and it reverts back--or was it additional parts that could be made available with the conditions. A lot of work done is shown on the website but saw nothing about whether it is permanent & with the development around the area, doesn't look like much left to be had either.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 11:50
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved