Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 156

humanpotatohybrid, Ross, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Water Distribution Tube
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Hello Everyone,
I'm attempting to remove the tube from a 356, probably for the first time in a long time. It's stuck really well. Other posts suggest working a thin metal strip along the edges to free it. Tried that and can only get about half-way through to the back.

My next thought is to use something thicker, perhaps a metal bar about 1/8 thick or so to break the seal between the tube and block. Something I can tap with a hammer. I have a new tube so ruining the old one is OK, but my concern/nightmare would be breaking it and having part of it stuck in the block.

What do you guys think?

Posted on: 2022/2/24 17:36
 Top  Print 

Re: Water Distribution Tube
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps the back end of it is kind of "cemented" in place by decades of accumulated sludge and rust. If you think that might be the case I'd think about reinstalling the water pump and giving the system an aggressive hot soak with a derusting concoction like oxalic or citric acid solutions or one of the commercial products (Thermocure?).

Posted on: 2022/2/24 18:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Blasting down the tube with a high pressure washer might help dislodge built up crud.

Posted on: 2022/2/24 19:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks for the ideas gents. I did an acid flush and have also tried thermocure a year ago or so. I have the radiator out for a recore and thought I should go all the way with a tube removal and some wire brushing. I can insert a small rod all the way to the back of the block so I think the tube itself is not clogged up, just cemented to the block. I think I will go gentle a while longer and maybe just leave it as is. Thanks guys.

Posted on: 2022/2/24 20:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good evening...I would consider using a soft wood 1x2 plained down to fit snugly inside the water distribution tube. Fill the tube front to back and let the wood stick out of the front of the engine a good two feet so that you have leverage. Slowly apply up and down pressure, over and over and it will come loose. I know because I have removed mine using this method...it took most of the morning, however it did work...Good Luck, Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/2/24 20:54
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks Ernie,
That's a good idea!

Posted on: 2022/2/25 12:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mark, you may want to have a replacement tube in hand before trying to remove the one in the engine; or, at least have a verified source for one. This, just in case the one you remove will no longer be serviceable.

Posted on: 2022/2/25 12:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks JWL, I have one.

Posted on: 2022/2/25 20:06
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved