Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 220

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 31 32 33 (34) 35 36 37 ... 40 »

Re: Don’s 1937 (120) 138CD Deluxe Touring Limo
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Today was a good day. I got everything loose on the front end and the radiator drained and hoses off. The front clip is ready for “lift off”. I have the Three Hooligans signed up to lift it off Friday evening. I think we’ll make it a neighborhood party and I’ll put some chicken on the grill. But, nobody eats (or drinks) until AFTER the work is done. I don’t think it will take long.

I also went back to the heater refinishing and tried the “wrinkle” paint that Dan (DM37) recommended. I just did the insides for now and they came out pretty nice, I think. I’ll do the outsides tomorrow.

Here’s before and after the heat gun to bring out the wrinkle effect.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 5/1 17:01
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Question for the group…

As I’ve mentioned before, I have the typical break in my left front fender. I think it will be fine if we’re careful when removing the front clip, but I would like to stabilize a bit if I can.

Given that this area will ultimately be cut out and a new piece welded in, (like BigKev) had to do, what are your thoughts on using some simple strapping like this to keep the break from spreading.? The idea would be to just drill a couple holes on either side of the break and bolt this strapping to the fender.

Posted on: 5/1 17:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I think, (think mind you!) that a simple 3/8" drill hole at the top end of the break will stop any spread of the crack. Works in all materials by removing the focal point of the stress and spreading the force around a clean cut hole.
Let the avalanche of disagreements begin!
Bob J.

Posted on: 5/1 18:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Bob J is absolutely correct that a hole at the end with minimize the possibility of the crack extending itself.

Posted on: 5/1 19:02
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Do you have access to a welder?

If so I would weld in a piece of pencil rod along the wheel inside the lip to stabilize it until it can be repaired.

It was a common backyard repair for this problem.

But, that being said, you'll probably be able to find a '37 120 fender much easier I did try to find a '37 115-C fender if you want to go the replacement route.

Posted on: 5/1 19:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks, everyone. My neighbor does have a welder and knows how to use it. I had him take a look today. The concern is that the material along the break is quite thin. I like the idea of drilling a hole at the top of the break. That makes a lot of sense. As I mentioned, I think we’d be okay anyway as long as we’re careful.

BigKev - I would like to find new fenders as it may be a lot less expensive. I have this break on the left. The right was damaged in and accident back in the early 1960s. The metal is all very solid, but they rounded over the ridge down the center when it was repaired. So, in reality, I’m in the market for both front fenders.

Anyone have leads on front fenders with sidemounts? The sidemounts seems to be what makes them hard to find. I’ve been able to find a few fenders without sidemounts.

Posted on: 5/1 20:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Drilled the hole. That really did make a difference. Very simple and sound concept. Thanks for the idea.

Posted on: 5/1 21:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Most of my ideas are full of holes!
Bob J.

Posted on: 5/1 21:22
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
My '40 110 fenders had a similar crack(s); I lifted the nose off with a cherry picker and set it on the floor, then took the entire thing apart, generally with a grinding wheel to cut off all of the incredibly rusted bolts. Once the fenders were off, I took them to the bench, cleaned up the (paper thin) metal; clamped the fender up to close the crack, then tacked in a sheet of hand-formed 20 ga. metal through the thin fender. The crack was welded up through to the backing metal. A 3/16" diameter rod was then tacked at the lip all the way from the radiator to the running board, with some additional backing patches. In thicker areas I used a copper plate or spoon to weld up holes.

The fenders were really just junk; heavy damage on both of them that was badly hammered out and in a few cases, leaded back in. To further stabilize them, I fiberglassed the back sides with several layers of woven mesh and glass-fiber bondo. Then sprayed the works with undercoating.

Not my best work by far, but given the trash I was working with, serviceable. The outside of the fenders will get some filler, but most of the original patina will remain. It's not a restoration--it's getting it back on four wheels, running, with functional overdrive and a burger and milkshake joint as the destination for cruise nights.

Posted on: 5/1 22:00
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks, for the ideas…

I have two different situations. The left fender has the break as shown. Conceptually, it is simple to fix, but can be expensive and takes someone with some good skill to cut a section out and replace the bad area. That is what I would want done.

The right fender was damaged in an accident in the early 1960s. The metal there is all very solid, but whoever did the repair rounded over the fender, removing the ridge down the center in the front third of the fender. Again, conceptually, an easy fix…just put the ridge back in. But, that takes someone with some real skill. Again, that’s what I’d want done

That said, if I can find replacement fenders, I’ll likely go that route. I have a lead to follow up on. We’ll see how that goes.

Posted on: 5/1 22:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 31 32 33 (34) 35 36 37 ... 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved