Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 64

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 34 35 36 (37) 38 39 40 »

Re: Don’s 1937 (120) 138CD Deluxe Touring Limo
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks, Bob. That’s reassuring. Everything is new for me, but I love learning. I’ll give it a shot.

Posted on: 5/5 21:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
I did get some good clean up done. I got a lot of the undercoating stripped off the frame and ready for some rust encapsulator.

Click to see original Image in a new window

I also discovered another reason the car as a lean to the passenger side. The springs definitely are the main reason but another is with the body mounts.

Here is the driver side.

And here is the passenger side.

Posted on: 5/5 21:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a bit showing BobJ's description on distribution tube removal. This was taken from a later manual. Note that if the tube has been in place a long time there is every chance sediment could cause the tube to stick in place. If you pull too hard the small hole will tear out. If you find the tube does not want to budge try to find something long and thin similar to a hacksaw blade only longer to work around the tube on all sides and as far back as possible to try and free the tube before pulling again.

Attach file:

jpg  tube.jpg (353.67 KB)
209_6638480d9123e.jpg 838X1532 px

Posted on: 5/5 22:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks, Howard.

Posted on: 5/6 7:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You can take a piece of stiff, thin wire (like welding wire) and run down all the outsides of the distribution tube to help loosen it up. The the is fairly thin brass, so don't be too heavy handed with it. If you ever look through my 54 blog, you can see me extracting mine from my 327 block, which isn't too different.

The last couple inches of my tube was clogged with sediment.

Posted on: 5/6 8:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
I got the water distribution tube out without much fuss. Gently running a hack saw blade around the edges was enough to free it up. But, it’s in bad shape, so I reached out to Flackmaster for a replacement.

There was a lot of crude caked into the back end. Several inches of the tube were pretty well blocked.

I would like any advise from here regarding anything else that may need to be done before reassembling. What is the process to flush out the block? I assume I need to do that. My guess is that 99% of the crud remained in the distribution tube, but that’s just a guess.

Posted on: 5/6 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I think your best bet is to remove and disassemble the engine down to the bare block and have it boiled out, then replace the guides and at the very least check and hone the cylinders, replacing the rings with new. If too worn, they’ll need to be bored and get new pistons too. Lap or, better, grind all the valves and seats. For the bearings, get some Plasti-gauge and check the clearance, replacing as needed. Best to grind the crank and recondition the rods.

Posted on: 5/6 11:55
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The end of that distro tube ends up collecting a alot crud that floats around in the coolant. I'd back flush the motor at a minimum and see how much crud you can flush out.

I'd probably do it a couple of times.

If the motor isn't overheating or doesn't have other issues then no point in stripping it down. But if you getting low compression values, then it may need a looking it.

Posted on: 5/6 12:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks guys…

I do have concerns on the compression as I posted yesterday. Rebuilding the engine is WAY out of my experience/knowledge level.

Anyone know of or have recommendations for a good shop in the Kansas City area?

Posted on: 5/6 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
No need to know how to do it, that is what rebuilders are for. I do not even pretend to know the answer to rebuilders in your area, but I can recommend going to your nearest airplane club, usually at small airports and asking who does their engine work. Most of the antique aircraft need to have engine work done to recertify and their mechanics are top notch and used to dealing with these old style engines. Just a thought, it is what I did.
Bob J.

Posted on: 5/6 13:30
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 34 35 36 (37) 38 39 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved