Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 98

29tons, indhd20s, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard transmission question
Just popping in
Just popping in

EDS417
See User information
New member here! I am the sales manager for a large midwestern vehicle collection that recently acquired a Henney-bodied 1954 Packard ambulance. My owner drove the car for the first time today--it's equipped with a three-speed manual transmission. He said that when he stepped down on the gas at highway speed the car seems to "kick down" like an automatic transmission vehicle would. This is something kind of new to us, as the other 1950's era Packards we own are equipped with the Ultramatic transmission. Any information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2022/9/26 15:48
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard transmission question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A standard 3 speed will only have a 1:1 output in third and can do no more. Anything acting like a kickdown sounds like the car has an Overdrive and it may have been in overdrive mode which will give a 4th ratio.

Is there a round knob under the dash edge a few inches to the right of the steering column? If so, when the knob is pushed all the way in, at about 20-25 mph the OD will automatically go into prep mode and a brief release of the accelerator will let the solenoid engage so the 4th ratio is being used. This will drop engine RPM and noise significantly.

Anytime you are actually in OD and want more power such as when you want to pass a car a quick push of the accelerator to the floor will cause the OD to release and transmission goes back into a standard ratio. When the pass is complete, releasing the accelerator will let the overdrive engage again.

Pulling the knob out locks the OD out of operation so the transmission can no longer use it and straight 1:1 in 3rd is the highest ratio usable.

Posted on: 2022/9/26 16:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Sounds like the overdrive disabling itself for passing. The transmission proper will not shift itself.

In other words, what Howard said.

If you somehow don't have an overdrive then there is something really weird going on

Posted on: 2022/9/26 16:49
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day EDS417,

to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include the collections '54 Packard Henney Ambulance, plus "the other 1950's era Packards we own", in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/9/26 18:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You didn’t say if it was a senior or a junior Henney. I don’t know for sure on the junior models but on the senior coaches, all had the overdrive transmission installed but not connected if not ordered. If ordered, they got the 4.7 ratio rear end but if not, there was a different ratio (4.1 I believe but not sure) that wasn’t nearly as zippy.

Posted on: 2022/9/27 0:52
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

EDS417
See User information
It is a junior series car. The information is greatly appreciated!

Posted on: 2022/9/27 7:35
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

EDS417
See User information
Folks, thanks for all of the great information here! My overdrive experience was limited to early 60's Chevrolets that had a handle to pull to engage. I figured this to be the case here but without the car present to check I decided to join up here and ask people who would likely know the answer. While our portfolio has over 40 Packards included all of our cars from this era have the Ultramatic so I was charting new ground here. Again, thanks!

Posted on: 2022/9/27 7:41
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

EDS417
See User information
Thanks for the invitation! I will enter all of our Packard vehicles (at this time there are 43 ranging from a 1910 to a 1958) as I get a chance! We have a portfolio of just over 420 at this time so Packard is well represented!

Posted on: 2022/9/27 7:45
 Top  Print 
Wow (1)

Just popping in
Just popping in

EDS417
See User information
Howard, thanks for the information. It was exactly as you said. Our collective experience with overdrives was not on Packards and involved actively pulling the handle to engage rather than pulling the knob to lock it out. Again, thanks!

Posted on: 2022/9/27 14:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
EDS417 wrote:....I will enter all of our Packard vehicles (at this time there are 43 ranging from a 1910 to a 1958) as I get a chance!.....
Looking forward to see them all included, in advance!

Posted on: 2022/9/27 14:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved