Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

BigKev, Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Restoring a 1934 Packard Trunk
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi all,

I have just acquired a new trunk for my 34 Packard. I have realised that this has been painted a grey color. I would like to try and get it back to the original black color. I have attempted to restore a small area on the back of the trunk. I used steel wool & fine sandpaper to try and get back to the black vinyl (I think it's a form of vinyl?)

When sanding off the grey paint, it appears to be a layer of blue paint aswell.

In some places small bits can be scratched off.

A guy suggested paint stripper, but seems to be too abrasive. Can anyone make any suggestions on the best way to remove the paint?

Thanks In advance,
Mat

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1177.jpg (260.06 KB)
24_63981add8f53a.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  IMG_1175.jpg (262.84 KB)
24_63981b1473bdf.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  IMG_1182.jpg (572.82 KB)
24_63981b51afd26.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/12/13 1:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Restoring a 1934 Packard Trunk
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Sorry, I can't help in regard to what to use, but in my opinion, I think you're wasting your time on this.

If you want a really nice looking trunk on your car, purchase a different trunk. Really nice ones are usually available in the $300-$500 range,,, and if you get lucky, you might even find one with fitted luggage. I just sold two trunks at Hershey in pretty nice condition, one had fitted luggage. If I remember correctly, I sold the pair for $800.

Posted on: 2022/12/13 11:29
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have never tried it but one of your countrymen has a YouTube video and says alcohol, specifically hand sanitizer, is a good solvent for hardened paint that does not damage vinyl upholstery. Other places do mention different solvents for different paints so I suppose it would be important to identify what paint was used. Still, the hand sanitizer is available and maybe worth a first try except maybe use a very stiff brush instead of a fingernail.

Can't say what material was used to cover the trunk but Packard used a material they called leatherette for interior trim in some wear areas or when the cost of full leather on a particular surface was not warranted. No idea when full on vinyl material came into wide use so the leatherette may be what is on the trunk. Perhaps the alcohol would be just as effective on it but just in case not, do try in a hidden or already damaged spot first.

Here is a bit detailing the difference between vinyl and leatherette

Posted on: 2022/12/13 12:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I worked in automotive plastics, including formulating vinyl, and that article's distinction is complete BS. Vinyl resin (PVC) is rigid and rather intractable. You compound it with additives to alter its properties like ease of processing, weathering, coloring, impact resistance, fire resistance, etc. If you add a plasticizer to soften it, you get flexible vinyl, invented in the 1920's. The amount you put in (up to the resin's carrying capacity) adjusts its softness. "Leatherette" is just marketing speak for flexible vinyl or I suppose other flexible plastic.

Posted on: 2022/12/13 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mathew, I don't have own experiences. But look, what the internet says on

a) How To Remove Paint From Vinyl Floor?

b) How to Remove Paint from Faux Leather?

Posted on: 2022/12/13 14:02
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
.......and that article's distinction is complete BS

But the article😀 is on the internet and everyone knows anything you read on the internet is never wrong 🤣

Posted on: 2022/12/13 14:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To my knowledge the fabric-covered trunks (1934 and earlier) offered by the Packard as factory accessories were branded as "K" brand or KamLee, manufactured by McKane-Lins of Milwaukee. The covering on mine and a few other earlier ones I've looked at appears to be some type of rubberoid coating calendared on a woven cotton or canvas backing. I doubt that any type of chemical or mechanical cleaning is going to accomplish what you want. I'd suggest either recovering it with some modern replacement for the original fabric, or just buying a better trunk.

Posted on: 2022/12/13 15:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I know that brake fluid can certainly remove paint when I don't want it to and I rather doubt it will hurt the vinyl, so why not soak an old piece of towel with it and lay it on a spot to try it out. It will take a little time.

Posted on: 2022/12/13 18:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There is also weak paint remover designed to remove one layer at a time. Likely automotive paint suppliers would carry it.

Posted on: 2022/12/13 19:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Thank you for everyone's input. I thought this was in better condition than my current trunk but was a bit disappointed when it actually arrived. I have nothing too loose, so I might try a few products and see if anything works, otherwise I might see about revinyling it. This did come with the luggage so at least I have that. :)

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1104.jpg (331.08 KB)
24_63999adc1ceda.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  IMG_1105.jpg (311.75 KB)
24_63999ae87a479.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/12/14 4:44
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved