Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
56 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 56

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1934 Packard Twelve 1107 battery
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jmac54
See User information
Hello,

Looking to replace the 6 volt battery for a newer one as we will be taking it to shows, etc. I am looking for what would be the correct brand/type for this model (Twelve-1107). Also where is the best place to buy one with a quick turnaround shipping wise. We are in North Carolina.

Thanks

Posted on: 2023/2/23 10:31
 Top  Print 

Re: 1934 Packard Twelve 1107 battery
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The original battery was a "Willard 17 Plate"

Posted on: 2023/2/23 11:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jmac54
See User information
Thanks BigKev

is that something we can still get online ? or a repro close to the original ?

Posted on: 2023/2/23 11:34
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That I don't know. That info was from the 1938 specifications in the Service Counselors

Posted on: 2023/2/23 12:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If owen_dyneto does not see your question and have an answer you might send him a PM. He has recommended a Napa commercial battery several times for various cars of that era but I don't remember the number. I believe he has one in his 34 but then his car is not a twelve. I did not check all the specs so no idea if there is a significant current requirement difference that the twelve would need a larger battery. If there would be a CCA capacity issue that could be a consideration.

One thing many do agree on is the period reproductions or so called boutique batteries with cases styled to look like the originals are frequently not all that great a battery. Not only are they quite expensive but some have a lower CCA capacity than original requirements and several have found they have a much shorter useful life.

Posted on: 2023/2/23 14:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The correct replacement for the factory battery is a Group 4. There are several brands available but they probably all originate in the same factory. Any decent auto parts store should be able to provide one with a days notice.

No need to consider a boutique battery as it's nearly fully concealed beneath the floor boards.

Posted on: 2023/2/23 15:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Get ya a
Optima Batteries OPT8010-044 6V RedTop

Id do a AMAZON Free Del

Make sure u shim it up so it dose not fall over. Was on a tour yrs back and one fell over - shorted out - and started smokin. No fire but it was thinking about it.

Posted on: 2023/2/23 18:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Optima Red Top 6-volt, 800 cold cranking amp, per PB above.
No off gassing, terminal fuzz, and only 18 lbs. Weight is the enemy. Packard made cars, not batteries, grease, motor oil, generators, tires, but if a trophy hound, Jim's Battery Manufacturing, 602 W Rayen Ave, Youngstown, OH 44502, (800) 426-7580 has period looking covers so no one will be the wiser.

They also have bolt-in 55-amp, 6-volt, + ground, one-wire alternators, absolutely no butchering required. Brighter head and tail lights, faster battery recovery. Tell Jim and Dolores that Mike Scott, Walnut Creek, CA '47 Super Clipper, and Hans Edwards, British Columbia '47 Custom Super, referred you.

Posted on: 2023/2/23 22:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
The decade-old Optima in my 1933 Eight failed last summer. At that time, no 6 volt Optimas were available anywhere and Optima wasn't saying when they would be available. My search led me to NAPA, their Commercial Battery Number 7212 just fits in the battery box area, has a 975 cold cranking amp rating and the terminals are in the proper locations. I ordered it online and picked it up the next day at a local NAPA store. It weighs 48 pounds but I was able to install it from underneath with the help of a couple of scissors jacks. As mentioned above it is a tight fit so you needn't worry about it falling over.

Posted on: 2023/2/24 0:41
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jmac54
See User information
Great , thank you everyone. It sounds like for fitment and also for what CCA that car needs the Napa Commercial 7212 is the way to go.

Posted on: 2023/2/24 7:49
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved