Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Oil ports on starter, generator and water pump 1941 engine
Just popping in
Just popping in

Palmer
See User information
Wow, thanks. In the meantime i took the cap off, cleaned it out good and used a small stainless wire to clean out the cup and hole, and repacked it. but it looks easier in your pic when its on your bench! I know i’m dense, but i dont understand turning the cup every 2000 miles. Of course, i dont put even 200 miles a year on it ….so maybe it doesn't matter!.

Posted on: 2023/6/17 17:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Bob J wrote:
I recommend removing the grease cup and cleaning out the old grease using a fine wire to try and include the fine hole to the bushing shaft, mine was akin to bee's wax!
Bob J.

I agree completely. I have been rebuilding a bicycle from 1967 as a side project and I found the same condition. Beeswax as grease (even the unused blobs of grease had this consistency) and the bearing races were completely dry. Even rebuilding it with Red Grease (which is thicker than the Bicycle Grease that is normally used) was like a miracle in terms of smoothness and friction reduction.

May as well get all the old stuff out with brake/carb cleaner and replace anew. Should only have to be done every half century or so, just top it off in between.

Posted on: 2023/6/17 17:57
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Palmer,
to PackardInfo.

Regarding this:Quote:
Palmer wrote:..... i dont understand turning the cup every 2000 miles. Of course, i dont put even 200 miles a year on it ….so maybe it doesn't matter!.

It matters, turning the cup pushes grease from the reservoir to where its neeeded for lubricating the shaft.

And I invite you to include your '41 Packard as well as the '37 Packard 4dr Convertible(shown in your profile) in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/6/17 18:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Absolutely. You don't want that bushing running dry, since wear can affect your ignition. Think of the engineer even in the "modern" steam era of the '30s, '40s, into the '50s with his long-necked can "oiling around" the sighing locomotive during a station stop, even those with roller bearings throughout the axles and motion most of which fed by a Bijur-like system.

Posted on: 2023/6/17 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
If you have an older water pump with oil cups, it might be best to use non-detergent motor oil.

Posted on: 2023/6/18 8:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved