Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 157

humanpotatohybrid, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Anti-theft Devices
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54ocmac
See User information
Thanks to all for your wisdom and suggestions!

I’m thinking the ‘solution’ will be a combination of 2 or 3 of your suggestions!

Cheers!

Posted on: 2023/6/28 22:13
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
You could install a tap in the fuel line, reasponably accessable but out odd sight.
Anyway do car thieves know how to hotwire a car these days? It's all laptops and electronic key codes now.
Gary

Posted on: 2023/7/2 1:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
On my '51 I drilled a hole through the post that goes through the latch. Reaching through the front grill I would insert a lock through the hole, which prevented the hood from being opened. Pull the wire on the coil and it is disabled or install a switch inside the hood area to disable the lead to the coil.

FYI:
Any good repro man can over come any method you come up with in order to take your car within 5 minutes including remove all 4 tires. Except sitting there watching with a 12 gauge shotgun.

Posted on: 2023/7/5 14:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Here is another idea I thought of today. It uses an DPST switch and a relay, tied into the horn and map light circuits. When leaving your car, activate the switch in an exterior, hidden location. When the map lights are turned on for any reason (such as opening a door), the horn will sound, and the 2nd relay locks on so only shutting off the switch or disconnecting the battery will stop it.

Enough at least to wake you up if you are nearby...

Attach file:

jpg  20240225_153708.jpg (1,252.78 KB)
225076_65dba58eb4059.jpg 3517X2109 px

Posted on: 2/25 15:41
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You'd want something to prevent the horn for blaring constantly. Horns pull a lot of amperage. So you can quickly drain the battery and/or overheat wiring/relay/horns. This is why most alarms cycle the horns/sirens and turn off after a designated time.

Get a hidden battery kill switch, hide an apple air tag somewhere in the car, and keep it garaged when not in use.

Bottom line if someone wants to steal a car, they will. A set of wheel dollies can quickly roll a car away to where it can be towed.

Posted on: 2/26 10:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Any chance of creating an actual link rather than pasting in a long, non-wrapping URL? Easy to do: highlight the words "like this" and click the little Link icon which looks like a chain and paste in the URL there.

Posted on: 2/26 13:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved